Recovery of Carers Allowance overpayments

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by KT53, May 18, 2024.

1. KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
    Ratings:
    +458
    This isn't a party political point, as the system has been the same for decades. I think one of the underlying problems with entitlement to means tested benefits is that entitlement falls off a cliff edge rather than tapering to zero. Earn £x and you are entitled to the full amount, but earn 1 penny over £x and entitlement ceases entirely.
    My brother was unable to work, lived pretty much independently but in supported accommodation, and tried to claim Pension Credits. This was in the days before pension age was equalised so he was claiming at age 60. The calculations done a very nice lady from the Pensions Service showed his income as less than £2 too high to qualify. As a result he had to pay his rent, council tax etc with no help. Somebody living in exactly the same block but earning £2.01 less would have had both paid. How can that be fair?
    I fully appreciate there has to be a cut off point, but surely not a cliff edge?

• Agree Agree x 9
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,085
      I agree, its stupid, I'm not sure who thinks up this kind of thing up and how it ever gets put into practice.

I used to know people at work who never did overtime because it would mean they were earing too much for some such benefit.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,465
        I agree. Also I look after some disabled people on benefits and one of them has lost his winter Warm Home Discount but not through any higher income (he can't work). They have moved the administration of it from the power companies (who just reduced their bills by the set amount if they were already receiving certain benefits) and it has been taken over by the DWP :doh:. They have now added some more qualifying criteria.

According to the person I spoke to at the DWP (yes, I managed to speak to a person :rolleyespink:) they now have added a qualifying size of property and rent. The person who has lost his Discount (it's only about £150 but means a lot to him) lives in a small council flat allocated to him because of his disability. The council have no idea what it is about and the councillor who holds the Housing Portfolio (a friend of mine) hasn't yet been able to find out. The MP is going to try and find out but his office has only just got back to me, three months after my first email to them, apologising for the delay but they have been extremely busy and have now passed it on to the MP. He is actually a very good constituency MP but I reckon he will be out of office before he gets any understandable information.

From what I understand, and at the other end of the scale, surgeons were cutting their hours because if they earned over a certain amount they lost some of their pension payout. Apparently it made it totally uneconomical to do the work so now we have a bigger waiting list instead.

• Like Like x 2
        • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
          Ratings:
          +458
          I think that somewhere is Whitehall is "The Department for Ridiculous Ideas Which Must Be Implemented Immediately and Without Consultation"

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +8,900
            And on the other hand a person I know played the system when he left school. His GP signed him off as unable to work. So this guy is in a local rock band, goes bait digging/fishing..........all with a very bad back:yikes:

• Informative Informative x 1
            • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
              Ratings:
              +458
              I accept that there are plenty of false claims and not all, or anywhere near all, are caught. That doesn't mean the genuine should suffer because of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
                Ratings:
                +3,514
                Given the billions wasted on PPE, the real injustice is clawing the money back from these overpayments just because it is easy to organise.

I agree cliff-edge cut-offs are really counterproductive. Carers save society huge amounts of money and yet are begrudged very modest financial assistance.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
                  Ratings:
                  +458
                  I have less sympathy, in fact next to no sympathy, for those in the situation reported where somebody won £80k and blew the lot in either 2 weeks or 2 months, depending on which report you read. They then moaned that their benefits had been stopped.

• Agree Agree x 1