1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recycled/Pallet Shed.

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Steve R, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    A while back our housing association replaced our roof, and every other one on our street, as the pallets of tiles arrived and where emptied, I recycled them down to our allotment plot, with the intention of building a shed from them. I already had a pile of recycled timber from some flats that where demolished after the floods in Cockermouth a few years ago, so over winter I used that to make a shed base inside my polytunnel and gave it a couple of coats of creosote, the base is 14ft x 7.5ft.

[​IMG]

Building up the walls was childsplay, you can clearly see the short lengths of timber I used to connect each pallet to it's neighbour. I'll eventually replace these with long rails at waist and shoulder height that will connect all the pallets together and also serve as supports for internal worktops, cupboards and shelves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fitted a door frame and tied the two sides of the shed together with the roof rafters.

[​IMG]

I had a pile of corrugated steel recycled from an old shed demo that I installed as a roof and also all along the back side of the shed

[​IMG]

Finally wrapped up for now with visqueen. I will be installing a floor tomorrow (recycled floor boards from a local chapel conversion), and making a door. Over time I will use recycled pallet timber to clad the front and recycled corrugated steel on the 2 ends to finish it.

This shed will leak for now, but its intended use is for all those allotment "extras" that make the place untidy through the year whilst not in use. Such as bed covers (plastic and membrane) pots and trays, frames canes etc etc. Things needed to be kept dry will be in the other decent shed that will now have more space thanks to this new one.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 9
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,050
      Good job Steve, that is a useful size too.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,698
        Door and floor completed yesterday on this recycled material shed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It persisted down heavily last night and this morning I could find only one area that had leaked, which is a result considering every roof sheet has about 10 holes in it.

So for now, it is done and now in use. Aesthetic changes can be done in the drier months, now it's back to sowing and planting.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 3
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          @Steve R not bad going mate and it's quite big :yikes:...some light in there and your well away :dbgrtmb:

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Steve, brilliant. Absolutely brilliant :)

• Agree Agree x 1