Recycled timber

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Steve R, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I've recycled for many years now, there is a great deal of joy of finding a long piece of timber in a skip, asking permission then taking away knowing you can use it and stopping it going to landfill. Its a win win situation all round for everyone.

But this week I have started recycling the biggest and best I have ever done. Some houses are being demolished in town to make way for some very modern flats for the elderly and as the old roofing timber is being pulled off with a digger I get to recycle it. If I did not it would just be burnt!!

I've done 2 loads so far in the van and will do another tomorrow. All the timbers are 2 x 4's or thicker, and all are longer than 6 foot, and go upto around 18 foot. I dare not guess to the value and still cannot believe all this would be burnt.

The big plank going from bottom left towards midlle right is approx 12 ft long, so you have a sense of scale.
    [​IMG]

This stack goes back around 7ft.
    [​IMG]

view from the other end.
    [​IMG]

I feel like I have won the recycling lottery..:yahoo:

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 4
    • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,073
      Brilliant Steve ! a real treasure-trove.

You make a very good point in your opening paragraph - other skip-divers please note: Alway ask permission before taking stuff.

a-a

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Cool:dbgrtmb:

Trouble is with the building trade, theres not much chance of recycling for most. We had to pay to send stuff to landfill. Trade vans can't go to the recycling centres.

• lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
        Ratings:
        +641
        The sad thing is this is fully seasoned wood and better quality than you would buy!:mad:
        A disgrace it is being burnt:nono:,Well done Steve a good find:dbgrtmb:,what are you building!! :whistle:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,702
        I already had the timber to build a big fruit cage, now I will be able to beef it up some.

The main build will be two sheds, one at home (10x6) and one at the allotment (12x16), this will have a porch on it too.

Some of the timber will also be used for a cold frame for which I recycled 300 bricks earlier this week..:dbgrtmb:. Enough for a decent sized frame.

Any left over will be given away to other plot holders....there will be a lot left over I reckon as there is still a lot of buildings to come down yet.

It is a shame that it would have been burnt, its also a shame that builders are not allowed to easily recycle such things too. Most allotment sites would rip your arm out for this stuff. Maybe if any builders are reading this they could contact their local allotment site to see if anyone wants old bricks, flagstones or timber when they demo something.

Even if they put a notice on the site skip.

Please help yourself and recycle
        But DONT make a mess!!

Cheaper then for builders with less full skips and better environmentally all round.​

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        When I get stuff like that I give the nails a trial tug with a crowbar and if they don't shift immediately I remove them off flush with an angle grinder before they cause any damage to clothing/footwear/me that negates any savings.

I'm sure Steve knows this already, but for the benefit of others take far more than you think you can possibly need because you will find a use for it and forever regret not taking the lot..

And I always give my contact number to the contractor so they can make a similar saving on waste disposal costs on their next project, and depending on what's in season, some vegetables, fruit, flowers, eggs, homemade wine, apple pies, etc., together with a verbal thank you.

• Like Like x 3
        • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,616
          steve
          you had so better be living close to me or i am so sulking :cry3::cry3:

well done you !!!!! (i reluctantly say)

• lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
          Ratings:
          +641
          Even if they put a notice on the site skip.

Please help yourself and recycle
          But DONT make a mess!!

Cheaper then for builders with less full skips and better environmentally all round.​

[/QUOTE]

I think you could blame H&S for them not doing that imagine the insurance!

Its not only wood and bricks I have had to "rescue" fireplaces and water tanks before now.Its all about the time factor money talks and time penalties talk alot louder than a bit of "scrap"

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          Bits of that pile look like oak to me. Although I could be wrong.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,334
          Oh IF only I had a van:cry3:
          Off on me tangents
          Companies destroying good stuff, it is cheaper to burn the wood than transport it an PAY to put it to the tip
          ELF AND SAFETY laws they dare not let you on the site to take it, incase you stand on a nail and put it in your foot
          If the boss is away and you ask the builder/labourer for it, they dare not give pemission as they would lose their employment

Private skip, ask the owner first to raid it for what is scrap to them goodies to you, though even now the private owner is worried as someone soon will file against them for saying yes help yourself, then they put their shoulder out lifting the antique iron fireplace out of the skip

What a sad world

Jack McH