red hot pokers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by milesaway, Aug 7, 2006.

1. milesaway

milesaway Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. I have red, yellow & orange red hot pokers which were planted in a bed of multi purpose compost, in march, by the previous owners of my new house. They have not grown at all and refuse to flower thus far. do they need a season to 'settle in' as other peoples seem to have been flowering for some time ? should i be feeding them perhaps ? :confused:

2. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI,MILESWAY,I have 2colours of red hot pokers and they have flowered profusely. I never feed them. I dont think they are that much trouble. [​IMG] :D

3. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Milesaway, mine have been and gone. Are they in sun or shade? Another member said his hadn't flowered but they were in shade, mine are in full sun.

4. milesaway

milesaway Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah. Yes, they are in the shade. i think perhaps i will go and move them to the sunnier side of the garden, where the soil is a bit denser. I have just been told this may help. Thanx both of you !

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yay!! I've just given my first gardening advice. Must be worth another star :D
    I think full sun is what they need milesaway. Hopefully you'll get loads of flowers next summer ;)

6. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    milesaway thats why they are called red hot pokers, I think? ha!! and mine are on the sunny side toooooo. [​IMG] :cool: :cool:

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Milesaway - if you only planted them in march if may be a little soon to have them flower this season. They like sun, and a reasonable soil, however they will flower in dappled shade, and will do OK in clay soils (thats what mine is). There is quite a range of knipholia - and some flower in early summer, but some much later.

Unless they are in shade, I would suggest leaving them alone - with the exception of watering if the area they are in is very dry.

8. sharon

sharon Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I moved mine March last year into a new part of our garden we had purchased, I had no flowers at all last year, but this year they were great. All i did was tie the leaves up towards end of Autumn to ensure they didnt get too soggy in the wet soil etc, i think thats why you do that anyway, and the flowers arrived this year with no other effort.

9. windygale

windygale Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, i find the best way to get flowers on my RHP, place plant in full sun, add loads of compost into growing area,cut tops off in autumn, devide plants up in spring time every three yrs, BUT plant three - five plants (or as many as you can to get a good display)
    windy