Red Kite in Suffolk

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by RandyRos, Jul 30, 2011.

1. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    whilst out picking up new chickens in Weybread, Suffolk yesterday afternoon, we were just leaving the farm and my 15yr old son swore he saw a Red Kite sitting in a field opposite the farm.

I looked up Red Kite in bird books and he insists its what he saw. I know they were almost hunted to extinction, but I don't know exactly where they can be found nowadays. Does anyone know?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Oh yes, they're around alright, Randy, and they're not extinct. They have been reintroduced back into England and Wales for some time now. I fish in Rutland, Peterborough, Leicester, Norfolk and Suffolk and I see them in pairs or even up to 6 at a time. Your son obviously saw one of the growing number of Red Kites as they extend their feeding range, so you'll probably see even more of them. I've been fishing just outside Oundle and had one come down to sit on a post not 20 feet away as it "chortled" to itself. It's a big bird and, by the way, is a Scavenger by nature and not a Predator.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
      +225
      Is it possible you saw a Buzzard Ros? They ae not disimilar but are much more widespread. Although, just seeing Armandii's post, perhaps I'm talking rubbish!:heehee:

Chris

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        The Red Kite is a bit bigger than a Buzzard, and in flight has a very deep V flight tail, while the flight feathers at the extreme tip of the wing are spread out. It was very probably a Red Kite that your son saw as, like I said, the breeding program, along with the Osprey in the same area has been a great success and they will be extending their breeding and feeding range.

• RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
        +404
        thanks armandii. i wondered if my son was mistaken, so i showed him several pics of red kites and he insisted its what he saw. great to know theyre doing well now :)

• davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
        +257
        Many Red Kites to be seen around Corby (Northamptonshire) and the surrounding villages including Oundle as Amandii's post mentioned .

Dave

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Most I've seen together is 35 about 15 mins from home when some one was regularly feeding them. They're over my house most days and have landed in the back garden. When I tend my veg plot there's normally at least a couple about checking out what I'm up to as I give them the remains of rabbits when I occasionally reduce their numbers.

• Like Like x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Saw one in Wales once, you'd know the difference if you are used to seeing Buzzards.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          What would you call 36 Red Kites together, Scrungee, a Kc]ollection of Kites??!!:D

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,352
          Hi Ziggy I have saw in Mid Wales over 100 I was going to a meeting in a suit and my collegue told me about the feeding station so we went in our office clothes at least I had sensible shoes on she had 3 inch heels:heehee:

But it was worth it . Everyone else had should I say very sensible walking clothes and boots
          But to walk in a forest to a clearing by a lake then the sky was just full and flying over your head just amazing.

I have also saw a red kite flying over the M25 down by heathrow as they have a feeding centre around their my brother told me , you would notice the diffrence from a common buzzard by the large V in the tail

They dont seem to like it down here by the coast though

Spruce

• RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
          +404
          i'm jealous now, cos i didnt see the kite. humph

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          I've got a sneaky feeling, Randy, that it won't be too long before you do. It's a fantastic sight to see a pair of them using the thermals in the air to circle around and gain height without even so much as a flap of their huge wings. Just make sure you're not under one if it feels the need to "let go":D:gaagh::(

• RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
          +404
          lol not nice. my youngest daughter was in that situ when a duck flew overhead. pew-wee did that stink!

• Jupes

Jupes Gardener

Ratings:
          +16
          Could it have been a Marsh Harrier? They are quite widespread in North Suffolk now.

• RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
          +404
          nope, it was defo a red kite.