Red Onions - What Next?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Bilbo675, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Ok, as this is the first year that I have grown onions I wondered what course of action I should take now that my red onions have reached almost tennis ball size (some not all) and the top growth is beginning to fade?

I'm aware that those that tried to flower won't store and should be used first, but do I dig them up and hang them in the shed to dry off or leave them on the surface of the soil for a few days given the current dry and sunny weather?

Any help will be gratefully recieved, thanks :thumb:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Bilbo,

I've just put some of mine on a mesh rack so the air can get all round them.

Did have some propped up against a wall drying out, till I discovered they had sneakily put their roots down thru the lawn & were trying to make a break for it:parsnip:

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,089
      Just strikes me a bit early for onions to be coming to the end of the growing season.
      I'm guessing you used sets Bilbo, are they the overwintering kind?

Even if they are, as long as some green is in the stem and some roots I would leave well alone and allow them to ripen naturally.

Unless of course you're in a hurry to eat them, if so I would be using the ones that have flowered and leaving the rest.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I'm just ripening the ones that have dropped already.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Thanks guys; it appears to be the ones that tried flowering that are fading from green to yellow/brown so I think I'll have them out first and leave the others a little longer..:thumb:

Oh and yes they were grown from sets..