Red Passionflower

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Bob, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Bob

Bob Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    bob i have passionflower growing on my balcony these past 3 years, they grow all over mines right across my arch and its climbing all over my balcony, mine hasnt flowered as yet and i dont know what yours is called, never seen one that colour before here, mines purple and white when it eventually flowers.
    changing the subject sligtly 3 years ago victoria sent me cup and saucer vine seeds its been growing all over my balcony and its just starting to flower now.
    passion flowers are climbers good luck with yours

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    :) Hi Bob. Here is our original link with Sis's pictures of your 'mother' plant ...

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/pink-passion-6618.html?highlight=Algoz

Sis has always called it the Red Algoz Passionflower as the plant where she pinched the cuttings from is just up the road from my Post Office. :wink: For some reason 'we' decided it was a P racemose. :scratch:

I have the 'mother' plant here now .... having spent a couple of years in Germany it has returned home last October .... :hehe: It's been very slow to re-establish and is only about 1.6 meters tall with no sign of flowers yet. :(

My P pinnastipula never did recover and heaven only knows where one of my pictures has disappered to!

My P 'Victoria' has shot up again but seems to stay at a height of about 20cm and I were just saying last evening about re-planting it, perhaps in the same plant as the Algoz one (it's a tall pot on the kitchen patio with most of the base missing so it can root into the earth beneath).

To the contrary, my s*dding P caerulea is taking over ... not only is it coming up in the pergola, the borders, around the rose bushes, lime tree and Solanum tree but also in the gravel ...s00k I sometimes uproot a dozen shoots at a time, often 50-60cm tall which seem to appear overnight!

Maybe we will get a definitive ID on it now. :)

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    victoria just read about yours, my passionflower took ages to re-establish after it was moved when i had new windows put in, but once they grow they certainly grow quite fast

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Forgot to say Bob, the 'grandmother' plant was about 30 foot tall and very broad in the beam. :hehe:

Rosa, now is the wrong time for me to move plants actually with 36c day temps ... it's an autumn move I think before our hopeful rains. :)

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Thats a very nice plant/flower Bob, and its always nice to get a new one from seed:gnthb:

I dont profess to be an expert on passion flowers by a long chalk, but I dont think its racemosa.

Are the flowers formed on old stems and in largish clusters on one stem?
    If I remember rightly, thats how racemosa flowers, its different to most passifloras in that way.

It looks a bit similar to Antioquiensis, but may just be a hybrid of that type.
    There are some distinct types of passiflora and I'm not that well up on them, but it lacks those fillaments that most have, in varying degrees.
    Mollisima is another of that type, mostly high altitude plants, as far as I know, so a bit frost resistant but probaly not hardy here.

Passiflora are a plant that I would really like to experiment with cross polleniting, but I just dont have the greenhouse space for them.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    A couple of other names to play with, reading from a book I have.

Passiflora Jamesonii.

Passiflora Mixta X Manicata

Passiflora X Exoniensis

8. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    What, pete, you think folk here who don't 'do' gardening and this is a rampant climber up a conifer in someone's garden has a named variety? :hehe: Must get a picture of the great-grandmother plant. :)

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Named variety or species its all the same.
    Its not native so must be brought in, even if seed grown from another plant.

10. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Bob. I hope you don't mind but I'd like to share a few pics. Whilst at Wisley yesterday, we came across this Passion Flower 'Curtain' in the Tropical Glasshouse.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers...freddy.

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Freddy that looks very like "Victoria".

I'm sure she will be along later to confirm it.:D

Its the classic way of getting a passion flower, to flower.
    They dont flower much on the way up, but flower well on the way down.

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I also hope you dont mind Bob, but this is a red one I BOUGHT, (sorry I cheated), but I was told its hardy, far too early to risk until I get some cuttings going.

Its called "Anastasia", but its very impressive up to now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ok im putting a pic up of mine.. Amethyst, Lavender Lady.. Sounds Like It Will Have to go in the greenhouse end of summer.. I didn't know there were so many different Passionflowers, Pete, Love the colour of your Anistasia and Bob I originally had a red one but i thought i had planted it out too early and it Died, So I bought the Amethyst and when I planted it saw new growth on the red...Now I have 2 :dh:
    And Freddy that curtain is Fantastic...

[​IMG]

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    She is here to confirm it, Pete xx

Freddy, it's P 'Violacea Victoria'. My sister bought me one a few years ago but I sadly died on myself but seems I may have shot up again but it's too hot to tell at the moment ... maybe come the Autumn.

There's a 'curtain' of a red one at the hotel where we lunch a couple of times a month ... must get a photo .... it's more massive than that and outside ... I'm always quite gobsmacked by it ....

Your Anastasia looks interesting, Pete.

Beautiful bloom of the Lavender Lady, Cutie.

I have none of mine doing much at the moment ... only that horror the P caerulea shooting up everywhere and me uprooting a dozen shoots every couple of days .... aaagghhh!!

15. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks. In my own garden I have a 'regular' passion flower. It's doing reasonably well since I planted it out in the spring. I would however like a more colourful one but it SEEMS that these are less hardy. There was a link somewhere that someone here posted to a site that had lots of different types of Passiflora, and the thing that struck me was how tender (relatively) most of them are.

"They dont flower much on the way up, but flower well on the way down. "

Just to be clear on this, that's how they should be trained to get the best from them ?

BTW, some nice specimens on show in this thread :thumb:
    Cheers...freddy.