Redecorating my bedroom

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by greengiant, Jun 14, 2008.

1. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to repaint my room a nice mellow colour, of sorts. It is currently magnolia, but I'm tired of it now. Any suggestions?

My room is quite small and has a skylight as its light source.

I've had my eye on a colour called herb garden, http://www.crownpaints.ie/pdfs/solo.pdf - last row of last page. White ceilings and white skirting & door frames. What do you guys think? I want it to be mellow, but not depressing.

:)

2. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think that will be pretty dark greengiant, though if you like the shade, it'd be worth while going to one of the 'mix yerown' stands, and looking at all the variations of tone. In a small room, I think you might find that depressing, or a bit overpowering. Buy some testers and paint as large an area as the tub will allow over a corner - that way you can see how the light will hit it from more than one angle. Like the name though - they come up with some good ones!

3. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, that is probably too dark. I've also had a look at avalanche (same row, one earlier), that might be a good one. But yes, I will try the testers - at the moment I'm just trying to narrow it down enough so that I don't have to spend a fortune on em!

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    LOVE avalanche! That'll look super cooul!

5. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yea, I like it better than herb garden too. I'm going to fill my room with lots of plants too, big leafy ones. I've dreamed of it for a long time, hopefully it will become reality for me soon.:D

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Cant advise, my coulur tastes are for reds and yellows. Id have burgundy walls and celing with white doors and skirting, skirting and door done in thinned down satinwood so as to make the grain stand out.

7. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Herb garden is anything but mellow. Personally, i'd choose Mellow Sage.

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    gg, can i just say that that colour, herb garden, is a gloss unless I'm looking wrongly.

i think it would be too dark too. Have you looked at crown's suede paints? it's a lovely texture. Quite dear though, around £25 a tin but then it is lovely. You can get free colour card samples from crown, I got some of the suede & put a couple of colours up in the hallway. That was about 3 months ago and they're still there:) I know what I want, just can't face the work!

Let us know what you decide.

cheers

9. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I must say, I much prefer pastel colours. I have to do my bedroom shortly and I hate looking at paint samples in books as they are too small for me to visualize over a larger area. So the paint pots are ideal for me.

One has to decide on ceiling colour as well and maybe slightly different end wall colours to side walls. Darker colours shorten a room lighter colours do the opposite yea.

Choices, choices, choices....:confused:

10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    If I had my way then i would paint all the walls in our house white,much better than the Magnolia that the builders put on all the walls but Mr Kandy thinks that white is too stark:eek:,but I disagree because once you have the pictures up then the white doesn't show up as much:thumb:

I do hope that you manage to find a colour that you like as I know it can be a bit of a headache trying to sort out what looks best with different lighting albeit natural or with room lights:)