Refused to empty my green bin!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't believe it once again the green bin guys have refused to empty my bin saying that it's too heavy!

This is the second time they have done this and it's really taking the pee as I recyle an awful lot more than most people do on my estate Bob caught them up and gave them a right telling off they said they would come back for it if some of the stuff from it was taken out. :confused:

It's really got me angry as they don't refuse to empty my black bin when there is very little in it nor do I get any discount from my council tax for recyling more than others...makes you think why do I even try to recycle so much stuff!
    Helen.xxx.

2. Ethansmum

Ethansmum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would ring the council and tell them exactly what you've said. That you do alot of recycling. For goodness sakes!

Round here, people don't check the dates (we have alternate black bin/ green bin weeks), so the binmen still empty green bins into the non-recycling dump truck. Both binmen and owners are at fault- it just makes me so mad!

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Can you not ask the council for another bin ?

We can have more than one brown/green bin for garden waste.

4. Ethansmum

Ethansmum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Really? I didn't know that. Thanks.

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    BM likewise I didn't know about trying that although I'm not sure if they will empty two bins for me as I know they don't empty two black bins per household but I will try all the same.

Ethansmum we have the same system here one week black the other week green and the blue box, although our bin men refuse to take the wrong bin if it's the wrong week...I think just maybe they want to stay warm in the cab instead of pulling along the bins in the cold!
    Helen.xxx.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    If it was your back that was going to be damaged by draging a very heavy bin then you wouldnt do it. Dont blame the guys emptying it.

The soulution is a second bin and if the council wont do this make a fuss. We are alowed unlimited bins here.

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Pro, you have a way of saying things!!!

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,650
    I assume you have to put the bin out front to get it emptied, if thats the case, how on earth do you manage it, being that this bin is so heavy that no one working on the bin truck is able to move it.
    You must be superhuman. :D

Seriously, ask the council what the maximum permissable weight of the bin is.
    I bet they dont have one and if they do how do they weigh it.

Maybe they think your filling it with earth. [​IMG]

BTW, it costs me an extra �£29 a year to actually get a green bin off the council.

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Pete is that what you have to pay to get an extra one ?

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    If a burly binman cant pull a full bin that has wheels. hes in the wrong blo*dy job...

11. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Errr you guys are lucky to have a "Green bin",don't have one round here!

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,650
    No BM, thats for the first one, dont think you can have an E X T R A one [​IMG]

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Pete not superhuman just Bob although how the guy keeps going one could very well call him superhuman! :D

I think they (the bin men) only took our Christmas green bin as Bob was standing there watching them and it was as heavy as our bin this week! It was a real struggle over Christmas as I had to put some of the recycle stuff in the black bin something I really don't like to do. :(

Nothing naughty went into the green bin just our normal 'allowed' stuff an awful lot of cuttings from the garden and of course loads of weeds the little blighters seem to be shooting up everywhere!

Dee I think you are right too many bin men today were not working for the firm when they had to carry the old style dust bins on their backs, although I think the old style bin men would be suffering today with their backs.Bless them.
    Helen.xxx.

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm sure if a person of Helen and Bobs tender years can move their bin to the kerb to be emptied then the poor binman can load it on the waggon, some people are just born bone idle and hide behind the elf & safety dodge, got to agree with Young Daisy on this one.

15. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    [​IMG]

[ 02. February 2008, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Paladin ]