Rememberance Plants - Plant In Memory Ideas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jungle Jane, May 24, 2016.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    So it was my recently departed Nan's 90th birthday yesterday and her ashes were scattered at her requested place.

I want to plant a plant in memory of my Nan and I had originally wanted a rose but it seems there isn't one called Nan or Nanny and getting one named sounds a bit of a quest in itself.

Can anyone think of any plants which have the following variety names, Nan, Nanny, Grandmother, Dorothy, Kathleen (sp) (turns out Mr Jane would like something in memory of his Nan too)

Thanks everyone

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,957
  3. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    The easiest would probably be a rose called Remembrance. Not exactly as personal as wanted, but still fitting the bill. Two of them went in my garden earlier this year, I cant wait for them to flower, I find the colour stunning.

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    first of all a big hug to you, Jane, and sorry to hear about your loss.
    Second, regarding the flowers, I would personally just choose a flower or plant very dear to your Nan throughout the years. If the name is not the way you desire, you could use a special pot, a special corner of the garden with maybe a little plate or some nice artefact created by you (I say this because I know you are skilled) that clearly shows that it is made with her in mind.

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Sorry to hear of your loss. In my work, we have to also deal with our residents who pass on. As we are located in homes in "regular " communities, what we do is plant a tree on the property and buy a little sign to place at the base. We focus on smaller trees that will flower. Guess who is called to do the picking. Anyway, in the past we have done weeping cherries, and a crab apple to name a few.