Remove dead moss?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SurreyMagpie, Nov 14, 2011.

1. SurreyMagpie

SurreyMagpie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to gardening, I've had my first house with a lawn for 1 year now, and I've no idea if I'm doing things properly.

A month ago I put an autum treatment to kill weeds and moss, and now there's lots of dead moss in the lawn (lots of black areas). When I try to remove it using the rack I get the feeling i'm removing most of the good grass too, and the area is left blak and almost bare, is this ok? Will the grass grow back again?

Is it better to try to remove as much as possible, even if the lawn looks so bad when I do it..?

Any advice will be appreciated!!

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi SurreyMagpie, yes need to rake it out and get rid of it. Your grass will grow again, never fear. But moss does point to the lawn being compacted and having poor drainage so you might need to use a fork to improve it.:D

3. SurreyMagpie

SurreyMagpie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your reply, can you tell me about the fork..? I've no idea what it is or how to use it...

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    make 3-4 inch holes all over the lawn (search google for aerate)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQWFNkMNnM[/url]

or .... you could use this method (but don't knock your fingers with the hammer!): :D

if you have a large garden, it may pay you to hire an aerator machine for a day

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    You couldn't get a better explanation than that provided by dim.:D:thumbsup: