1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Removed Ivy from tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Carllennon, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hi,

I removed Ivy from my garden tree but after googling, I think I did it wrong and shouldnt have removed all the vines, and should just have cut the stems off to let the ivy die on the tree. What can I do to help the tree? is there some protection solution I can "paint" on it that is sold?

Or do you think it will be ok? It wasnt a huge amount of ivy but it took a couple hours to remove.

Thanks

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    It should he fine Carliennon :)

Yes, if you simply severed the ivy from ground level the "vines" would die on the tree and fall off. No, just let the tree recover now:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
      Ratings:
      +246
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Maybe have a look at the thread I posted a few weeks ago @Carllennon "No good deed goes unpunished". The massive tree in question now has huge amounts of dead ivy in it. Hopefully over the next winter or 2 all of it will fall out of the tree. Certainly the tree is in all its glory atm and showing zero signs of objecting to what I have donw to "help" it.

• Tom Saunders

Tom Saunders Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Removing the ivy will cause no harm to the tree unless the bark/cambium layer was damaged in the process, if not you have done the tree a favor.
      Hope i can be of help.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        You'll probably find the ivy starts to grow again at the base. If it does, spray it with glyphosate and if a thick 'branch' bore a hole and inject glyphosate.

• Sulia

Sulia Apprentice Gardener

Weighbridge Operator
        Ratings:
        +9

• TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
        +247
        Hi Carllennon

Do you mind me asking why you thought you did it wrong? I posted a thread about ivy in trees a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it now sadly. As others have said, removing ivy from trees can either be done by pulling it all out or by severing the base of it and letting it die off over time. Personally I hate ivy in trees for a number of reasons, but I know others like it for wildlife purposes. Ivy is a prolific grower, so every so often just pull off the vines again as you see fit.

• Like Like x 1