Renovating hydrangea macrophylla

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by ClematisDbee, Aug 14, 2024.

1. ClematisDbee

ClematisDbee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I think my h mac must be around the age of ten. I currently only have one flower and no sign of any buds. Very unusual for the time of year. Might it help to do some renovation? Thanks.

2. AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
    +511
    What type of regime do you carry out, eg pruning, feeding, watering etc ?

• Like Like x 1
    • ClematisDbee

Ratings:
      +10
      Thanks, AnniD. I have not begun pruning it, I have just let it do its thing. It is in a shady north east facing area, I water the area at least 3x a week in dry weather. The foliage is dark green and healthy. I add a mulch of new compost about 8 times a year. The plant is about 5 1/2 feet tall.

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,460
      It is overhung with trees or other shrubs? Although hydrangeas like shade, they need light and won't flower well in dim conditions. I had one under the edge of quite a high oak canopy and it stopped flowering. Moving it just a couple of metres into lighter conditions restored its mojo. (They are shallow rooted, so quite easy to move, though spring is probably the best time to do this, just as the leaves are emerging.)

• AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
      +511
      I think I'm right in saying that if it's a macrophylla type it's either a mophead or lacecap?

Mopheads I know a bit about but I think lacecaps might be treated a bit differently when it comes to pruning ? (Standing by to be corrected).

If it's around 10 years old and a mophead type, I would have assumed it's been just lightly pruned over the years with the flowerheads left on over the winter and then lightly pruned back to the nearest set of healthy leaves in Spring.
      (Sorry if you already know this, I'm basically thinking out loud :smile:).

How are the light levels? As @ViewAhead says, that could have a bearing on things.

• Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,938
      Hello @ClematisDbee, it's good to see you back! I had a similar situation with a mature H. macrophylla in my garden. I cut it back severely a couple of years ago to about 2 feet, it didn't flower that year but responded well with fresh vigorous growth and excellent flowering the following year. Mine is in quite a shady location, under a large Acer and doesn't get any direct sun until late afternoon. You could be more cautious and prune back just a few of the older woody stems, as described in the video in this link which I found helpful:

Hydrangea pruning / RHS

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
      • ClematisDbee

Ratings:
        +10
        Hello @Plantminded, thank you very much. I have not had much free time this year - I had hoped to be on here more often. The poor weather has not helped either! I am glad to hear yours excelled the following year, after pruning. I have nothing to lose, so will check your link, thank you!

• Like Like x 1