repairing large areas to grass.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by tothemanorborn, Dec 27, 2011.

1. tothemanorborn

tothemanorborn Apprentice Gardener

MD
    Ratings:
    +1
    we have had an awful lot of work done and its wrecked quite a bit of the grass.
    I would like to start to tidy up and prepare for re-seeding, i thought it was far to early to lay grass seed down and wait till spring as the seed wont germinate.
    or is it?? it will take ages for me to prepare the ground but i can make a start.
    so was going to rake level and tread down, then rake again the cover with the seed, and put netting over because of the birds.
    the treetreetreetreetreetree is the digger has dug up loads of the base soil which is orange treetreetreetree-the top soil and sub soil is very good-so will have to try to get some good stuff on top!!
    some of it i just cant do yet as it needs leveling with a harrow and rolled or something and is way to wet and soggy-
    Does this sound like a good plan?
    any other advise on timing and skills etc is gratefully received- its a matter of acreage here.
    we are in s/w france, weather is varied but not as cold.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,371
    The plan sounds good to me. :thumbsup: It's best to wait until spring to get the grass seed down. I believe it doesn't germinate under a minimum temperature of 52 Fahrenheit approximately 11 Centigrade. :)

3. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    it's too late to sow seed (in the UK), but have seen some landscapers still laying turf at new housing estates

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881

Can you post some pics so as we may see what the damage/problem is? Then we can give you the best advice.:thumbsup: