Replacement Blow-Away Cover, or a Greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Fat Controller, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    At the start of the year, my lovely mum bought me a 10 x 8 (or thereabouts) polytunnel which has sat on the patio at the back of our shed.

It has been quite comprehensively battered by the wind and rain, and had suffered a number of puncture wounds (some severe where the frame bolts have rubbed through thanks to the wind); then the zips on the door failed - the first couple of times I was able to repair them with my pliers, but the latest failure was pretty final.

I had the bright idea a couple of weeks ago to turn the cover round and use the door that we hadn't used - but that backfired as one of the zips at that end failed in spectacular fashion too!

So, I now have a poly that I can only open at one end, and one side of the door to get in as all the rest are gaffa taped shut, and the cover itself has more holes than an island full of golf courses - I think it is knackered :(

Now, a replacement cover can be had for £50 - BUT, I am wondering if this is a sane investment, given that this cover has lasted approximately six months. I have seen a powder-coated ally framed greenhouse, polycarbonate glazing (so a bit safer than glass with the wee one knocking about), base, louvred ventilation panel, two auto-opening windows, shelving, guttering and downpipes for just over £500 -- and the site selling it does finance that would equate to £25 a month for a couple of years, so not bank killing.

Opinions please?

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,838
    Coooeee, where are you Scrungee ????

3. chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,616
    thats how we ended up getting our green house

4. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    FC if £25 per month is not going to stretch your budget in the foreseeable future then I would say go for the greenhouse only you know what you can afford best.

5. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    Id go for the greenhouse if faesable beats blow aways any day

6. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I've had a 'blowaway' up in an open exposed location for about 15 months (so over winter in gales) and the only damage is a door zip which is no big deal as when I erected it I set timber framework in readiness for replacing the zippered panel with a framed door.

You mentioned turning the cover round, which isn't easy if you've buried all the edges - has that been done to the taughten the cover and help prevent it rubbing on the frame? (reading again I guess not if it's situated on the patio)

What size is it for £500? The cheapest place I found for new (somebody's going to suggest 2nd hand from ebay) greenhouses was Tesco Direct.

And is the polycarbonate glazing those thin single skin panels? (that loads of people complain about blowing out, which might be a problem if located where your 'blowaway' is being blasted to bits by wind))

7. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +51,884
    Its this one here that I am looking at 8 x 10, and they have a deal with wooden staging, self opening windows etc which comes to £609 all in. If I do it, I'll whack £109 down to make it the round £500 left (thought it was a nice way to use the money that I was gifted by my guys and girls at work!)

8. Jenny namaste

Ratings:
    +31,838
    Money well spent IMHO FC. Enjoy,
    Jenny

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      A comparison between Summer Garden Buildings and Tesco Direct prices for the greenhouse I bought:

Tesco £372 including (£3) delivery & base http://www.tesco.com/direct/10x6-aluminium-greenhouse-horticulture-glass/207-4323.prd plus there's normally a £10 to £20 money off code available. I got mine a short while ago using 'double up' of clubcard vouchers, but there was another offer early in the year when it was on 'special' with a £100 off (I think you had to spend another £31 on 'accessories' to get the spend up to the required amount, and it was 25% off greenhouses over £400).

Summer Garden Buildings £436 including delivery & base http://www.summergardenbuildings.co.uk/products/greenhouses-6ft/aluminium-greenhouses-4001023.html

So also taking account of such things as clubcard points, the latter would be about about £80 (22%) more expensive on that model.

If you can pay cash it's worth looking around and waiting for a 'bargain'. So I'd put that £25/month away, wait until Spring and buy a good value glass glazed greenhouse.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,884
        I don't really shop at Tesco Scrungee, and don't have a clubcard, so there would be no savings that way.

The other two factors I was considering was polycarbonate as opposed to glass because I have a soon to be nine year old daughter running around the garden as well as a dog (thinking balls, and trips might be a hazard with glass); that, and the ability to overwinter the stuff that I have now, as well as being able to bring my seedlings on next year in a greenhouse rather than dotted all over the house (Mrs C much prefers this idea, especially after the cucumbers this year :biggrin:

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

Is there any horticultural* benefit from glass as opposed to polycarbonate? (*see the big words I am learning here?!?! :biggrin:)

• Like Like x 2
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          me me me me me ME !!!

Or FreeCycle.

If you are not in too much of a hurry I think it is worth setting up an eBay search (the type where it sends you a daily email of any matches) based on your criteria. There are loads on eBay, so setting up a "narrow" search will be the tricky part - choosing the right keywords, and so on. Setting a Distance will help narrow it down, and you probably need to exclude all the shops selling brand-new as well (e.g. by excluding Buy-it-Now, although some private sales are sold that way).

If you are DIY enough to erect one, and have a vehicle you can beg/borrow/steal that will take the longest bit (usually the base rails & gutter), then de-construct and re-erect is not hard. Take lots of photos before you start dismantling, and during.

If the rubber seals have perished use the one-sided-adhesive foam for Window & Door draught-proofing instead (I used the Brown rather than White as I think that is more likely to have better UV inhibitors)

From memory my 12'x10' was about £200, and the 30-ish x 10' was £400. Both are Eden brand, which is not in the El Cheapo camp.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,884
          Thanks Kristen, but I wouldn't have the time for all that - I am off work for the next ten days and once I go back whole days off will be few and far between; the fact that I don't have an ebay account doesn't help either (I'm not overly keen on ebay to be honest, you just hear too many horror stories).

I kinda want to sort this one way or another in the next few days, even if it is just a new poly cover - I simply saw the greenhouse whilst on there looking at poly covers and thought that it might be a longer lasting, and more reliable solution (as in, hold the heat in better in the winter etc). Is the one I linked to rubbish then?

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
          +31,838
          Reviewing those photos of plants growing in every nook and corner of your house FC (#10)....
          it's a wonder you weren't ordered to leave home !!

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,884
            Bless her, my better half put up with it very well - but even I have to admit that it got somewhat crowded in here (its crowded now with just house plants!), hence me being a bit 'keen' to get a solution in place sooner rather than later.

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
            +31,838
            What a grand item to spend your staffs' gifts on. It will last longer than your blowaway did (lawd, what a hellish bloomin windy spell that was) and you will be as happy as Larry in there. Envy you a bit FC. Never had a GH...