Replacing carex pendula

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Nickoslesteros, Sep 1, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    Hello!

I seemed to have let the carex pendula grow. It must have self seeded (as there are others I have been removing too). It has taken over the area where I have Euphorbias and ferns. I know it will keep growing and wipe everything out, so today, it goes. One thing, though, I like is that it adds a bit of height to the border. Wondering if there are any ideas for something to replace it. Open to grasses, perennials or small shrubs...

What do you think?

2. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    Forgot photo

Attached Files:

3. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Stipa Calamagrostis has a slightly arching habit but does not self seed or invade. It may need a little more space though! If you want something more upright, Stipa tenuissima is a small evergreen grass that's easy to grow. Both prefer sun but will cope in some shade. Imperata cylindrica red baron is another possibility which will complement your red leaved acer.

4. AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
    +511
  5. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,303
    An often overlooked alternative to grasses is Dierama pulcherrimum. The lovely, hanging flowers come in all shades of pink, white and red and once they've faded, the arching stems still make a graceful statement. There are dainty dwarf types and large, imposing ones up to 1.5m. The old foliage can be pulled out to tidy up the plant or no doubt it could just be sheared off à la Miscanthus, although I haven't tried that.

6. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    Some nice suggestions there. Going to research the grasses a little more.

I have just been gifted a fuschia hawks head. Could this work, it best for a different spot?

7. Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Yes it would provide height and interest @Nickoslesteros, with a little cleared space around it. It’s deciduous so no winter interest, unlike most evergreen or deciduous grasses.