Replacing dead cherry tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by GardenGert, Feb 26, 2022.

1. GardenGert

GardenGert Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Looking to replace dead-ish/dying cherry tree. Small garden so I’m thinking I have little choice but to try and dig it out and plant near-ish the old site.

Is it daft to plant a new tree where the old one died or does it not matter? I don’t know why it died - we planted it when we first moved here 20+ years ago. It was glorious much of its life, but started only flowering at the very ends of the branches a couple of years ago and has generally gone downhill since.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,854
  3. GardenGert

GardenGert Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    First is from 2009. Second from a couple of years ago when it first started only blossoming/leafing towards the ends. And then today. Unfortunately the branch towards the left has got fungus on it and has been dead for some time. The fungus goes quite near to where it connects to the central branch which is the only bit that has a very few buds on it. And most of the bit on the right snapped in the winds from Eunice the other day. Apart from that it’s fine!!:biggrin: (And yes there is a rose growing up it as an attempt to disguise the deadness which is obviously working well!)

DBB9F19F-27EC-4387-AB08-8F44A74665D9.jpeg 17E032F6-C720-429A-991B-ED5D3BDF364C.jpeg 07BF59A9-6FD3-4222-9FD0-2E7F3B07D4C1.jpeg 8B5F4E81-4ACC-474A-80C5-C42073C22EE1.png

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,854
    Certainly doesn't look good :(

Not sure on the disease it's picked up but it doesn't look like honey fungus so I'd risk planting a replacement

5. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,328
    Any fungus or bacterial disease is likely to infect the slightest wound on a new tree in the same family (Prunus). I'd play safe and plant something from a different family. What about Malus, ornamental crab apple? It would also help to dig out as many of the old roots as humanly possible and add fresh topsoil, compost or well-rotted manure Anything to dilute and refresh the soil.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,040
      Not sure where you live @GardenGert but try something exotic, and evergreen.
      How about a Fiejoa, doesn't grow massive can be pruned and has unusual flowers in summer.

• Like Like x 1
      • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
        Ratings:
        +1,138
        Depending on your climate there is a variety of things you could try.

I just wouldn't replace it with another cherry tree as there is a risk of spreading whatever killed the first one.

Choices include, but are not limited to:
        - apples
        - pears
        - plums (including mirabelle plums)
        - persimmon (I have one)
        - almond
        - amelanchier (I have a "rainbow pillar" which grows in height but not width)
        - figs

Just don't go with something evergreen and useless for nature. Birds and bees will thank you.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +15,328
        There are two Prunus included in that list...plum and almond :whistle: