1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rescuing a fig tree

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Jacko1967, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Jacko1967

Jacko1967 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    hello, last year I found a fig tree in our hedge. I dug it out cut it back and stuck it in a pot. Now it just lots of spindly shoots. Should I cut them all back bar one or just leave it alone? Cheers

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,721
    Depends on what you want it to grow into, a tree or a bush?

Some cutting back of the spindliest shoots would be good.
    Left it a bit late though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jacko1967

Jacko1967 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      thanks, I thought so, I'd forgotten it was there

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      Like as @pete suggested - how big do you want it to grow to? And he's right that it's likely too late to be pruning it now, especially down to one shoot as you mentioned. It's very unlikely to bear much fruit for several years, so go easy on it until it's well-established, where you decide to base it, although it seems your's already has a fruitlet... a VERY good sign!

What are your ultimate goals for the tree? They can be grown in pots and produce fruit, but a seriously large pot may ultimately be required.

Figs are obviously from drier and sunnier climates, so free-draining soil and full sun is ideal if you like fig fruit (and you don't suffer from "The Indian Shimmy" when running to the loo :snorky:), although some will do well even in heavy clay soil, planted as a tree and left to grow as high as they will achieve.

The main thing is to keep them pruned so that rubbing or crossing brances and weak/dead/diseased branches are removed, as well as creating airflow within the branches so that fungal diseases etc have less chance to take hold. But don't worry too much about that yet. Your tree needs all the photosynethesis it can get.

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Mar 22, 2017