reseeding

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by has bean counter, Oct 17, 2008.

1. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

Whats the recommended sequence of events when re-seeding in the Autumn.

I think its:
    Scarify,
    Aerate,
    top-dressing and re-seeding.

but where does fertilising come in that sequence. top-dressing is recommended to follow aerating immediately but surely you would feed before re-seeding.

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Personally, I wouldn't top dress and fertilise at this time of the year. I'd do one or the other because the top dressing should have some nutrients in it. But other gardeners may prefer to do both, according to the preceived need.

3. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    Fliny,

Makes sense to me, thanks

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The order use:

Cut lowish ie 45mm, Scarify, Overseed, spray with a high potash low nitrogen autmn feed (liquid not granules).

No harm doing all the above on the one day..... just give it time before the next cut so you dont suck up the seed before its germinated. This is how I do things, running a business I dont have the option of leaving time between the above nor is it needed.

With graualar weed and feed preparations you need to leave a gap between operations or youll get scorch but this doesnt aply for liquid feed..... One of the many reasons io never use granular products.

If you have moss then this must be treated prior to scarifiying pref 2 weeks before.... use lawn sand or a liquid moss killer.

5. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    Paul,

In what circumstances and when would you apply a top-dressing?

I'm off to see if I can find a non-professional liquid autumn feed. If its got mosskiller, can I apply it at the same time as over-seeding?

Thanks

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Re top dressing, In honesty not very often. Very ocasionally I might hollow tine and would top dress after this (maninly tennis courts or ocasionally lawns with drainadge isues).

My normal lawn treatment for clients would consist of spraying with selective as and when usualy twice a year (spring and autumn using a profesional equivalent to verdone extra) no particular timing other than when temp is warm and weather right.

Also, spring autumn and maybe during a damp period in the summer I will moss kill, wait 2 weeks then scarify and liquid feed. Overseeding only if needed or any areas that were mainly moss.

Hope this helps.

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "I'm off to see if I can find a non-professional liquid autumn feed. If its got mosskiller, can I apply it at the same time as over-seeding?"

Yes.

8. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
  9. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    a related question if I may.

What is the quickest and easiest way of sowing grass seed when over-seeding a medium sized lawn?

Thanks

10. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    By hand (will be uneven spread though) or by spreader

11. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi loofah,

Do you know what the setting would be for a spreader?

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    one of the higher settings, will vary depending on the spreader to test spread a plastic sheet on the drive or flat area of lawn and run the spreader over to see how the spread rate equates.

13. has bean counter

Ratings:
    +2