Reviving old Lilac tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by barnaby, May 11, 2010.

1. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    Have a gnarled old Lilac which is currently in flower but I would really like to cut it down some a it is rather odd looking and old (a bit like me really).

Has any one got any suggestions how to tackle the problem - I assume that I shall need to wait until it finishes flowering anyway.

2. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    In a house I used to live in (and hated!) There was a lilac tree. It was a deep red colour flowering one.

We had a fence put in and it was in the way so the genders cut it down to half a foot. To my astonishment it started growing from the bottom, the first year did not flower but the second year it was an enormous full round bush and full of flowers, but of the usual lilac colour!

I would say that you could probably be quite harsh, if you are willing to wait for it to recover.

3. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks 'Vic. Plum' - this tree is covered in white flowers just now but am determined to cut it back and now that I know someone else has tried it then I can 'have a go'. It's my wife who likes the Lilac, I'd be quite happy without it and have bought a small Lilac shrub to replace it just in case.

Thanks again........

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Go for it. Just be patient allowing it to regrow.