rhod. apology-

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by borrowers, Sep 1, 2007.

1. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    sorry everyone. appartently my rhod is a hydranae! Has taken me 2 weeks to let you know this - i's so embaressed. I'm not getting mixed up from childhood, just beginning.
    I can't believe i asked you all about rhod, , & you answered. That's when i began to reliase it wasn't a rhod. I really thought it was!
    soo sorry to all of you that thought i knew what i was doing, i've told you am a beginner, this shows it! hope you have all had a sunny w/end. haas been quite good up in the north east of engalnd although windy!
    cheers a;;

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    You know I can remember when I couldn't tell them apart also, it was a while back.
    But we all start some time.

3. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Borrowers,

If it makes you feel any better i spent three years wondering why a Budleja (butterfly Bush wasn't getting taller) the main answer was that it was actually a Hebe [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't worry your not as bad as my sister-in-law she grows weeds that she is convinced are "new" plants but they are soon ripped up when I pay a visit to her and we always have a good laugh about it afterwards. ;)
    Helen.xxx.

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My jobbing gardener hacked a dracunculus to bits because he was convinced it was a dock. Now I know I grow some weird plants but so does he know and he should ask why a dock with a mottled 2 foot long stalk and just one leaf, also nearly 2 foot long had appeared in 3 days. He went to somebody else and dug up her rhubarb patch :eek: . No wonder he calls himself a 'jobbing' gardener not a consultant. Still he is very obliging and does not charge much, thank goodness. His clients need the money for tranquilisers [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Lost a good part of a second year asparagus bed due to wife "weeding". Bless her cotton socks [​IMG]

Mistakes happen.

Often. :D

7. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Thank you so much. I felt a right twit! Glad to know i'm not the only one.
    so how is everyone doing? What's happening with 'clearing' plants? i haven't done any yet.
    I was given some seeds by my neighbour, planted them on 22/8, put them in little plastic greenhouse, & they're growing really well! My neighbours can't believe it. Will they last when i put them outside? - i don't know.
    Just re-read that - didn't mean will the neighbours last. ha! ha!
    hope u r all well.
    regards

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    What plants are they borrowers? If they are the sort of thing I grow I guarantee they wont last even in a plastic greenhouse. Newbiegreen, what's a delphinium? [​IMG] :confused:

10. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hi sarraceniac
    The plants are marigolds & asters. they aren't big enough to plant out yet but i am 'hardening off' wow i know what that means now!
    they are doing really well. loads have come up.

Also, i found some seeds in an envelope in the garage that we must have been given at least a year ago. i have no idea what they are but i planted these at the same time as the marigolds & asters and they're coming up too!!
    Can't send pictures unfortunately so will just hope they flower & then i can find out what they are. the seeds were like tiny walnuts if that means anything & the leaves coming up are quite big compared to marigold 'baby' ones.
    bet by the time they're ready to go out it will start snowing here! never mind i am really enjoying it - i go out twice a day at least to check my seedlings & the pots. how sad! No, i don't care it's great.
    regards

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Borrowers sounds like the "tiny walnut" seeds could be nasturtiums.

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would say that you are planting everything at the wrong time of year borrowers. However with the seasons we've been getting recently I reckon you could possibly get away with it. If the asters are perennial then you may be OK with them and the nasties (assuming walnut is right on limited info.) which are self seeding annuals, you can often get away with murder with. I just don't know what chance you have with marigolds (never tried them) but I think they usually flower in summer so you could have the earliest flowering marigolds in the country. Still I think they are pretty easy going so just keep them away from frosts and see what happens.

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hi walnut & sarraceniac
    have just read your replies, thanks.
    i've looked up some pics of nasturtiums & yes the leaves do look like them so well done. I'm suprised that they are growing cos, as i said, i don't know how old they are, at least 2 years.
    will check on packet about the asters being perennial.
    If my marigolds do flower I will take a pic & get in on here somehow, I'll have to get hold of someone that knows how to do it. Am actually supposed to be getting a digital camera as a free prize, but won't hold my breath on that!
    it would be great if they did flower this year wouldn't it?
    cheers again
    sandra