rhododendron cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by borrowers, Aug 2, 2007.

1. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hello everyone.
    Many thanks for your warm welcome last w/end.
    I have a very large rhododendron bush in a corner of my garden & it really is too big now. However, because I don't want to lose it totally, is it possible for me to take a cutting (or something - don't forget I'm a new gardener) to grow from it? If so does anyone know how or where i can find out?
    I went to the library this week & got 3 gardening books but no luck.
    Many thanks in anticipation.

I don't think I'll be much help answering anything but will certainly try.

Cheers all.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Rhododendrons are best propagated by layering.

To do this - you gently bend a branch to the ground - where it touches the ground, bruise and score the stem slightly, then peg down so that area is in contact with the soil.

Then leave well alone for six months - or until there are clear signs of new growth. At which point, gently check if roots are starting to form, if so, cut cleanly from parent plant and pot up in ericacious potting compost.

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks Fran. Sorry for delay in getting back but apart from the weekends i don't usually come on pc much & when i do it's for half hours off & on.
    Back to 'layering' I don't know if i'm being a bit ambitious for me!
    Couple more questions if you don't mind
    Can i do it now ie August?
    Can i layer into a pot, assuming they will grow in a pot?
    Will i kill the whole plant if i do it wrong?
    Thanks Fran
    Regards

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
  5. 3witches

3witches Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I've layered various rhododendrons after finding one branch that had layered itself by accident. It really is very easy and worth a try. To answer your questions - I don't know about timing, although I do it whenever I find a suitable shoot, now seems as good a time as any. 2) you can do it in a pot, so long as the sides of the pot don't hold the shoot above the soil
    3) it won't kill the plant - although, along the lines of never say never, I suppose that it would be possible to introduce infection- but would be very unlucky and unlikely

By the way, anyone know if it's possible to layer wisteria shoots? ... particularly ones which have had a flower bud beyond the layering point - I'm trying one out at the moment to make a new plant for a friend who has never yet managed to get a wisteria to flower.

Good luck with the rhododendrons,

3W

6. OogieBoogie

OogieBoogie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Would this also work with Camelia's?

Last spring I have trimmed mine back (between 6-18" to shape)without the plant being affected; this year's flowering was good. But I would like to replace with smaller plants if possible.

7. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes, it is possible to layer wisteria.
    Not sure about the bud bit, but I would hazard a guess and offer a positive on that one.

8. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a couple of Rhodie stems I cut from a bush and put in a vase in my study. There are now shoots from the top of the stem but no roots from the cut end. How can I propogate them?

TO

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Borrowers - as others have advised. Yes you can do it now, yes you can layer it into a pot but its a little more difficult to keep the stem in continuous contact with the compost - and no you will not kill the parent plant.

Its a very easy technique - just requires a little patience.

Ooogieboogie - yes you can layer a camelia.

Tiggs&Oscar - I don't think you will be able to propagate your bits of rhodie. You could try using the normal soft wood cutting technique - but I doubt that they will root.

10. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Wow, thanks everyone.
    I thought i was a bit stupid there, after looking at some of the forums, it made me realise i am a real beginner! but thanks.
    I will have a go at doing this with my rhod.
    I will know by next summer won't i whether or not it is taking?
    Can i do more than 1 just in case one doesn't take?

Bit of history, in case anybody is interested, cos i fully understood the member that said when they were a teenager they weren't at all interested in gardening.

I grew up with a nice garden. Small, council house but with a grandfather who liked it & his daughter who tried to carry on i think (she was my mum). I couldn't have cared less. Now I'm getting the bug!
    If i remember correctly ( & don't forget i wasn't really listening), my granddad was trying to grow a black rhod. would that be right? i know it was big bush & my mum saying something about planting something in the soil. Am i having physcotic(?) episodes?
    If i'm in the wrong forum to rattle on like this please let me know, cos i don't really know how these things work.
    thanks everyone
    looks like we're having a bit of summer coming!
    regards

11. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi borrowers and a big welcome from me ,if your granddad grew a black rhody i would love to know about it,i love black plants,a bit weird maybe
    but thats me [​IMG]

12. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Welcome borrowers,

Also just wanted to say to everyone that you have helped out immensly with info on this thread, i'm off to layer my wisteria and Rhododendron, may be really cheeky and do the Azalea as well, saves a bundle. Thanks people :D

Welcome once again Borrowers [​IMG]

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hi kathy3 & accidentalgardener,
    sorry for delay in replying but as i said before usually only come on here at w/ends. Typical, cos now i have broadband - long story there!

anyway kathy3, no he never actually grew a black rhod. as far as i know but i do remember it was about putting something in the soil. he was from newcastle upon tyne originally (my mum was a geordie too), but without the accents, so i don't know if it would be something to do with coal. i can't see how because i've had my garden up here for 9 years & although i'm only getting interested in 'proper' gardening now, i still dig up bits of coal, so it can't be that. Although thinking about things, it was 40 years ago so maybe it could.
    I like black too. I have some black violas (I think, little flowers), got them by accidental buying & put them with other flowers by front door & they've lasted really well. They've just about had it now though. Will definately try to grow some from seed next year, notice i say try!

accidentalgardender
    Did you know there is a book named after you - or is it the other way around? I've just got it from the library. It is so funny.

Please let me know how you are doing with things everyone. i will definately let you know if i do succeed with the rhod.

Just thought of another question. Blimey, i do rattle on once i get here don't here, sorry.
    I got a couple of plants last week from a 'brilliant gardener'. He called them 'sofinias' i think, i thought they looked like 'petunias' - this is only going on this year don't forget, so they could be the same, different or something totally else. Can anyone tell me please?
    thanks all
    regards