Rhododenron hasn't flowered

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pjam, May 30, 2011.

1. pjam

pjam Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have a small rhododendron (maybe 2.5- 3 feet) across "Germania" in a pot which I've had around 5 years.
    This year for the first time it hasn't flowered but has gone straight to the next stage - what should I do ?
    As I have't removed flower heads, the new leaf clusters are growing on top of the old ones, meaning it is growing up and out, which I don't really want, and I'd like to see some blooms next year.
    What's the cause? The cold winter (live in Edinburgh)? Me not pruning it? Too much fertiliser as some websites seem to suggest?

Many Thanks

PJ

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Its usualy wont flower if you have't been watered enough through out the summer while the buds develop, plus the winter may have killed all the flower buds as well or hasnt helped
    With pruning you have to be careful, I think I know what you mean , you get 4 buds starting to regrow , cant you let just two and pull off the others , or it may off just out grown its space and time to decide to get a new one as you have said you have had 5 years

Spruce

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Can you plant it out of pot into garden .

Last year my goldflimmer rhod never bloomed last year its full of buds opening now.

4. pjam

pjam Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both - unfortunately I can't replant, and don't really know what I'm doing with the pruning - there is one new leaf cluster coming out of the top of each old one - I initially thought they were the flower buds and it was just going to be late flowering, but they're not. Is there a level at which I could prune (when?) to cut it back, otherwise I'll just cross fingers for next year.

PJ

5. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi I would leave alone , as I have had no luck with pruning small rodi the branch always died back or never produced a shoot ....

Just make sure you keep well watered over the summer

Spruce