1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. OCTOBER PHOTO COMP Is now open so why not pop an entry in.. The theme is "WATER"
    Dismiss Notice

Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by eddybaby, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:23 PM.

1. eddybaby

eddybaby Gardener

MD Print & Promotional Company
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi all. My Rhubarb plant is about four or five years old and am wondering if I should split it and if its the right time of year to do so?
    If and when I do I'll be struggling to find room for the 'new' plant. Will it grow in shade?
    I know down the road from me in the Rhubarb Triangle they grown it in the dark by the light of candles but will that work for me??? :snorky::snorky:
    Seriously though I have a shady section of garden under some big Castor Oil & Laurel/Bay bushes/trees would it cope under their canopies?:doh::doh:

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII ADMINISTRATOR Staff Member

Semi-retired
    Ratings:
    +51,481
    Hi eddybaby, well, keeping Rhubarb in the dark is okay for forcing the new tender shoots, but really. it does do best in sunshine or light shade.:dunno: I dig my 40 year old Rhubarb completely up every 5 or 6 years and just use a outer new piece to grow on.:coffee::snorky: