Rhurbarb

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Boveytracey, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Boveytracey

Boveytracey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 4 very healthy groups of rhubarb plants of indeterminate age, at least 4 years old, probably more. If I am going to split them and relocate them, when is the best time to do this ?
    Also what happens to the stalks after the end of July when apparently you should stop picking them ?.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    If you decide to split them then late Autumn is a good time. I split mine two years ago for the first time in over 45 years :eek:. It has taken this long for them to settle down again but are now producing almost as much as previously. :thumb:

It you stop picking them the stalks shrivel and rot. Once the leaves have gone floppy (technical term :D) and brown you should just take the stalks off. If the plants have had plenty of water and are still producing a lot of good stalks I usually continue picking mine. If you split them then you don't want to pick too much the first year so that they put more effort into establishing the roots again. :)

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Assuming the " groups " are actually crowns, what I would do is continue cropping for as long as possible. Then in the dormant season, I would lift ONE and cut it into 4 using a very sharp knife. Plant these four sections and let them grow on for a season, cropping from the remaining 3 next year. At the end of next year lift another crown and divide. By doing this you are not only rejuvinating and increasing your rhubarb, but you are also keeping your cropping levels high.:thumb: