"Rip-Off" Gardening Express

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by allye, Feb 21, 2006.

1. allye

allye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a strange feeling that I have been ripped off. Has anyone ever ordered from www.gardeningexpress.co.uk I ordered and paid for �£60 worth of plants in December. The company immediately took the money but I have not received any plants, when I emailed them they replied that 4 out of the 7 plants ordered were for spring planting so i should expect them all then. I have since emailed them 3 times(as they never answer the customer service number) asking for the 3 winter planters but with no reply.
    I would like to hear some positive news about this company.
    Thanks

[ 24. May 2006, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Webmaster ]

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Getting "Page Not Found - HTTP 400 - Bad Request" Can you check link?

Whois also returns a blank for co.uk though there is a .com and a .net

3. allye

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I dont know what has happened to the link, I did type it in instead of copy and pasting whether that made a difference I am unsure, but the address is definately correct.

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    OK I see what the problem is - there is an extra dot (.) after the co.uk

Is this the link you want?

GardeningExpress

5. allye

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, I see where I went wrong, yes that is the link.

6. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I briefly scanned their terms and conditions and they do state that some plants will be sent when available or at a suitable time for planting. I think you should carefully check your order against their catalogue but I do agree it would be courteous to reply to your concerns. Online ordering is very much a matter of trust and reputation and no company can afford too many black marks even if they are within their terms. Word goes round the web very quickly ;)

7. allye

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your reply, I am just concerned because I thought that a company takes your details then only charges you when they are processing the order. Like you said an email would be reassuring. Oh well, I will be even more patient than I have been already.

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Do let us know how things go - it's not a site I've seen before (and I followed the link and got straight there, by the way!) - and would add it to my list if it's ok. Like Frogesque says - it's all a matter of trust, and word gets around quickly, particularly if it's bad!

9. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that this is common practice with alot of mail order plant outlets, great for their cashflow, a bit unsettling for the customer.

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would agree with Tortuosa - taking payment and sending plants later is very common practice with both mail order and on line.

What were the plants you ordered - cos even T & M stagger their delivery of plants to when they are suitable for sending - they grow on Guernsey I believe.

11. allye

Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered these plants with the top 4 apparently available now.
    I am very new to gardening and this was my first internet plant buy. Now I have a garden I am falling in love with gardening, I just wish I had something to plant.

Berberis admiration
    Clematis
    Phormium tenax
    Hosta fortunei

Spring:
    Aquilegia black barlow
    Crocosmia
    Iris white city
    Meconopsis + Sheldoni

12. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I would agree with my fellow gardeners quite often plants are sent when in season so probably no need to worry..but a small reply would have been nice. I ordered a piece of equipment from Germany it took 6 days No conformation at all apart from a PayPal email/reciept it arrived in perfect condition and was totally correct.

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the list - I wouldn't expect the spring ones much before April/May - but the clematis, berberis, phormium and hostas - mmm more difficult. Cos whilst you can buy them in garden centres, and plant them in the winter, as they are dormant there is little to show you have a plant. It may be that they are a) sourcing them and b) waiting til March .

The site looks OK however I agree that it is impolite not to respond to your e-mails - so may I suggest that you write to them by snail mail, special delivery - can work better than e-mails in my experience. You can always threaten to cancel your order and seek an immediate refund if nothing heard.

14. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have ordered from this site and found it OK. If I'm worried I usually ring the company.
    Some companies [like Bakker] don't take your money until they dispatch the stuff. I find THIS unnerving as I have sometimes forgotten!

15. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    'Fraid not! I recently had a problem with a buyer who thought as you did and reported me for taking the money before she'd got her goods!

Don't work that way in the internet! Most on-line payment systems take the cash as soon as you hit the 'proceed' button. Just like chip&pin. It's not the seller's doing, but just how Paypal or whoever works.

I gave her her money back!!