River bank vegetables

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Prastio, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been fortunate to obtain a garden with a short stretch of river bank. I have cleared a mass of brambles and nettles to reveal a strip of low-lying alluvial land, plainly rich in nutrients but with a very high water table. It must be good for growing something edible - but what? I presume that spuds and root veg would rot.
    Any suggestions?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    How about brassicas and peas and beans they should survive as long as they are not standing in water all the time. David.

3. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Sweetcorn requires lots of water,as do Courgettes and pumpkins. Growing rice comes to mind otherwise turn your riverside plot into a water garden. You lucky person. [​IMG]

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well spuds would be the most likely to do well. They grow in the summer when the water table is lowest, they like rich soil and just love moisture. Doesn't give you much of a rotation though.

5. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Geoffhandley - good answer, well argued. I reckon that spuds will go first to clear the ground, with maybe a couple of courgettes.
    Other suggestions much appreciated - I'll try anything but don't want to waste my toime on the impossible!

6. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Celery -particularly the self blanching that would be harvested before the winter.