Roasted Chestnuts

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Victoria, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    :help: Our street and market vendors have been selling roasted chestnuts for a couple of months now. I love them.

However, I can't do them .... I have a closed wood fire and a chimen-whatsit outside which I've not used.

So, I resort to the oven without success .... usually they are like rocks .... tonight they are uncooked and one exploded as I took the tray out of the oven so it's all over the kitchen.

1. Do you prick them or not? .... I have done both without success.
    2. How long do you cook them for and at what temperature?

Any advice more than welcomed.

:thku:

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Roasting Chestnuts

Warm up on those cold winter nights with some traditionally toasty chestnuts. A roasted chestnut is tender and sweet. Add a pinch of salt for a different taste.

Steps:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Place a chestnut on a "deep" dish towel that is lying flat on a cutting board or countertop. This will allow the chestnut to "sink" into the dish towel and keeps it from rolling while you make the cuts in the next step.
    Use a sharp knife to cut an X into one side of the chestnut to allow the steam caused by roasting to escape, otherwise, the chestnut will explode.
    Place each chestnut with the cuts facing up onto the cookie sheet.
    Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until chestnuts are tender, easy to peel, golden brown in color, and the shells are beginning to open.
    Peel nuts when they are cool enough to handle, and serve with salt if desired.
    Enjoy!
    Tips

Start checking the chestnuts after twenty minutes for shells that are open and the insides look "golden".
    Use an oven mitt to remove the chestnuts from the cookie sheet.
    Use dry, firm chestnuts; very soft and very hard chestnuts might be rotted.
    An overcooked chestnut is dried out and hard.
    Hot chestnuts peel easier than cold ones.
    Cover the chestnuts with a towel to keep them warm while serving.
    Try a little salt on your chestnuts.
    If the inner skins do not come off easily, the chestnut is either undercooked or overcooked.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    On the other hand, if you are in a rush and just have to have a few now you can microwave them. I make a slit down the fat side, microwave them for approx 30 or 40 secs on high leave to rest for the the two mins with a warm, damp tea towel over them and they are fine. Not as good as roasted but cooked and good in a rush. The damp tea towel makes all the difference.

4. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Thanks red and lolli ... a contrast with the two ways of cooking.

I've tried your version red and that's when I got bullets. :oops:

I've never tried nuking lolli but as it's only me who eats them, it's worth a try so thanks for that tip. :thumb:

I shall persevere .... and report back on my progress .... or lack thereof :D

5. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    Ok, then try wrapping them in alum. foil, and just before pour 1/4 cup water into the middle and wrap/seal, then bake. Make like a pouch.
    Or, after you cut the slice in them, soak them in water for about 1/2 hour, then bake.

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Just don't do what I did with my BRAND NEW microwave-combi. I banged it up to 200C and left the chestnuts in for about 20 mins (happily only about 8 of them). I was alerted to a strange smell and when I went into the kitchen, it was full of smoke like a vampire film set! The oven was flashing 'error' and when I opened the door, inside were 8 charred little nuts! They'd actually caught fire and burned until they extinguished themselves!

Needless to say the oven was ruined (was the very first thing I cooked in it!) but I just told Daewoo that the wave distributor plate had a mark on it and was it safe! They sent me a brand new one and took it away!

My suggestion - don't prick or slice the shell, cut a big piece off, size of a penny! Expose the nut more and it will cook through better.

I happen to really love chestnuts and will try these suggestions. I SOOO miss roasted chestnuts - have been making do with boiling them which is almost as nice!

7. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know about the rest of the world in Italy we have special pans for roasting chestnuts, with holes in the bottom so that the flames can lick the chestnuts here and there. We ALWAYS cut a long slit in every chestnut and roast them in the pan on a hot fire, tossing them often.

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,989
    I love chestnuts and if the open fire isn't lit then I have use the microwave - but you have to get it just right - I do them REALLY slowly on the lowest heat setting - but still manage to get the odd one that explodes inside the unit.

Last year I got one of these pans Ivory is talking about:

[​IMG]

from a local cook shop (but they are available on Amazon). We use gas to cook and it works really well, hopefully thats what you have LoL - not sure if it would work on an electric hob. I pierce each chestnut with a fork to let the steam out, that stops them burtsing in the pan.

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hubby says over the open grill of a firepit/briquette barbecue, and slit them.

Do you know this the one thing that makes me think of real Christmases-the ones when I was a kid.

Everyone has different microwaves so you do need to play-but it`s not that bad "testing" .

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    We do have those pans here, also clay pots with holes in the base (Sis left me one but I use it as a flowerpot). I use these black enamel trays that you cook veggies on on the BBQ. We keep the log fire door closed (because of the cats and efficiency) and I wouldn't light the BBQ or chminea just for a few chestnuts.

Hadn't thought of the gas rings, John. Yes, normal here is three gas rings and one electric, with an electric oven.

The chestnuts were €2,95/k in Lidl this week which seemed quite reasonable.

[​IMG]

11. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Lovely grub:thumb:...Had some last evening at our village late night xmas shopping...but at £2 per cup I won't get caught again next week....I will be taking advantage of the free booze however :wink:
    I prefer them very hot and no salt ....

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    asda are doing 2 bags for a fiver, had a cupful earlier-microwaved and they are pretty darn good.