Robin in the shed

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Janet mahay, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +614
    My boy was in the shed today and he notice a bird fly out of the window then he noticed a bird made a nest in the shed i had a look a little robin laid 4 eggs in the nest i put some food in the nest i dont wont to disturb it but as it warmer i be in the shed getting lawnmower out ect so how long do they usually stay till they are gone so i ll throw the nest out and clean up

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,769
      Try to minimise disturbance until the end of may or mid June if you can.

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,455
        Robins fledge within just a few weeks so they may fly fairly quickly. You shouldn't put bird seed in the nest as they can choke on it. Just let the parents bring their food.

Robins are very human tolerant so you going in and out with the mower shouldn't bother them too much. Just leave the window open (of course) and let them do their own thing.

Some years back we had robins nest in the top of a 50 litre compost bag in the greenhouse. They didn't seem all that bothered with us working in there but they didn't like us making much noise - we whispered to each other if we needed to say anything.

• Like Like x 4
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1