Rocking cordyline

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Annie206, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Annie206

Annie206 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there
    I have a rocking cordyline! I have 13 in total (yes, I'm hooked) and all are growing beautifully. But I have one that's had root rock for about 3 years now. I planted it as a baby, around a foot tall. It's now nearly 8 foot tall and the top is lush and healthy. I live on the south of the Isle of Wight, so we get extremely high winds here. I staked it 2 years ago when I first noticed its movement, but while I was gardening yesterday, I noticed its still got a lot of movement, even with the stake in. So my question is, can I dig it up (which tbh looks like I'd be able to push it over) and dig a deeper hole and replant it? Or would that kill it? I really don't want to lose it.
    Any advice is much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +89,000
      In my experience they dont take kindly to being moved, they have a tap root usually, I just wonder how pot bound it might have been when you planted it.

My thoughts are that staking is the only way but it sounds like its difficult to stop movement long enough for it to grow extra roots.
      The bigger it gets the harder its going to be.

I think if you do nothing its going to die anyway, so you could try digging it up and replanting.
      Not something I've tried.

• Like Like x 1
      • Annie206

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks Pete, I think I'm going to have to risk moving it, or I risk it falling over at some point. With all the rain we've had, it's rocking more than last year. I pulled some dead leaves from it yesterday and even that light task made it move. You can see the ground around it heave when you gently push it. Its a shame as its got such a lovely big head on it. Oh well, it is what it is.
        Thanks again

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,350
          Hi Annie

I would dig up check the roots as it may already be rotten as they can survive a while with no roots I have had that and it even flowerd clean it off and if need be pot up and bury the stem deeper that it was it should re root all up the old stem ,,, have you a photo ?
          some varieties are tougher than others
          Spruce

• Like Like x 1
          • Annie206

Ratings:
            +2
            Hi Spruce
            Thanks for your advice. I think you're right, I'm going to have to lift it. I've been out there gardening today, and the soil is so wet - with more rain to come. I think that's helped loosen it even more. I just need to find a pot big enough! You don't think I can just dig a bigger hole and replant it?
            I've uploaded a couple of photos I took today.
            Thanks again

Attached Files:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +89,000
            Looking at that I'd put a strong diagonal brace on that, fixed with one of those rubber tree ties.
            Or failing that two shortish stakes in the ground with a horizontal fixed across, again using a rubber tree tie to hold it to the horizontal.

It might have to be on there for two or three years, but unless you can stop the rock the roots wont get a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
              Ratings:
              +1,827
              Agree with Pete. Two diagonal braces, one south to north, the other east to west but made with something substantial....at least roof batten size and tied with those rubber tree ties....you'll lose the St Catherines lighthouse before the cordy falls over

• Like Like x 1
              • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                +12,350

yours were about the same size of mine before the "Beast from the East" KILLED THEM mine flowers in the summer which it hadnt done before then fell over lol

If me I would use a saw cut off cleanly to the height you want it at .. let it heal over for a couple of days .. pull of about 50% of the leaves and replant it and bury the stem a good 18 inches and use a stake to keep stable .. add xtra grit when planting it back in ... the problem with a lot of the plants we buy they are in multipurpose compost which hold too much water over the winter and there the problems occur ... its the same when you but alpine plants in multipurpose cpme the winter its a 5050 if they survive or not

hope this helps .. ps you can use all that old stem for cuttings

Spruce