Rookie mistake?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by newbiemumof3, Mar 24, 2018.

1. newbiemumof3

newbiemumof3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I moved to a new garden a couple of years ago, it's huge compared to my old one and after concentating on the house I am now turning to filling the garden with a veg patch and flowers. Budget is a big factor and I'm hoping to grow lots of perennials from seeds (blown the budget on a greenhouse).
    I've ordered some cheap plugs on offer from t and m and the lavender arrived today. Instead of growing them on in modules I've put them in the ground in the greenhouse. My thinking being they're less likely to dry out or be flooded by watering. Now I'm second guessing myself. Should I dig them up and pot them on tomorrow?
    Also any recommendations for flowers for a cutting patch, I prefer cool colours.
    Thanks
    Amy x

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,857
      Is your greenhouse heated?

• Like Like x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        :sign0016: @newbiemumof3 (Amy):)

Nice to have you with us at GC...members will give you sound advice, as there's many who grow there own...sorry i can't help you as i don't do that and look forward to getting to know you :dbgrtmb:

If you want members to help your further regarding your garden pictures added always helps members further.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Don't panic. Is it your intention to grow the lavender in the greenhouse? I imagine your answer to be no. That being the case, then I'd pot them up, let them develope a good root system and once all signs of frost etc is past and the soil is warmer, then they can be planted in the garden. Advantage being. Most plants will survive in pots and containers, so there is no hurry to get planting. Stored in or out of the greenhouse is immaterial. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,486
            Hiya newbiemumof3
            Morning and welcome :)
            No, dont grow them in the greenhouse soil. Those plugs will be swamped there and will struggle.
            I suggest you plant them in 9cm pots....keep them in the greenhouse for a week or two and then gradually get them used to be being outside by leaving them there by day and bringing in at night. In about 3 weeks' time keep them outside.
            Lavendar are basically plants for outdoors and will, when growing well, thrive out there :)

• Like Like x 1
            • newbiemumof3

newbiemumof3 Gardener

Ratings:
              +8
              Hi all thanks for the lovely welcome, :)
              Greenhouse isn't heated no, I do have a clay pot or two knocking around and some tea lights so can improvise if needed.
              Lavender is to be outside eventually as part of a sensory garden.
              I also planted lots of bare root perennials in the bed yesterday to start off as the border isn't ready to plant those out yet and I didn't want them to dry out. Having the lawn all levelled and reseeded at beginning of April so can't measure out and plant borders until after then.
              Job for today is to pot up the lavender, will the bare roots be ok where they are?
              (I'll add a greenhouse photo when I can work out how)

• Informative Informative x 1
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +117,311
                Welcome to GC.

As a general rule, anything that is intended to be planted out in the garden should be kept in pots until they're planted out. Just simple plastic pots are sufficient. If you don't have any then, sometimes, friends will have them lying around. In our area we have a number of small nurseries that quite often allow people to bring back their used pots and then let you have them. One of ours has two big cages that people throw their pots into and anyone can help themselves.

Letting us know whereabouts in the country you live will help us give advice as the climate and soil conditions vary quite a lot. Most of us put where we are in the info under our avatar. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +45,647
                  Many garden centers have a recyling point usually in the car park, where you can find old plastic pots for free. All they need is a good clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Useful Useful x 1