Rooks and bird feeders

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Fof, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
    +219
    I have one of these multiarm feeder stations, and get quite a few nice visitors, but, I suspect, not as many as I could get.
    The reason is the parliament of rooks that seem to have taken up residence. I do love them but they very pushy, bombastic, domineering and greedy (a bit like our current parliament :partytime:)
    Anything that contains suet is what they go for. My seed mix contains pellets, so they just rake the seed out to find them; they monopolise the suet blocks, balls and pellets.
    I got one of those "big bird inhibitors" with chains hanging down, but that didn't work as they have sussed out that they can hang from the chains to get at them.
    I don't want to ban them, but just wish I could find a way to moderate their greed so that others can have a share.
    Any ideas?

2. On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,502
    For the first time this year we have had magpies on our feeders. We have starlings but only a few in the winter months. Thankfully no rooks, jackdaws or crows. We have all of those in the area but not on the feeders. We don't put out fat balls so maybe that is why you are getting the rooks. They can obviously smell the suet. Maybe change the feed for a while and they will give up and feed somewhere else.

• Like Like x 2
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,485
      If it's the suet they're after, the easiest solution is - don't buy mixes with suet in them. :smile:
      The only suet I have is in the fat balls, and they're not easily accessed by the rooks/crows. We have loads of them here, but they rarely come in the garden - plenty of habitat around for them though, which possibly helps.

• Like Like x 2
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,485
        • Like Like x 1
        • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,583
          Fat balls are best kept for winter feeding when the birds are contending with lower temperatures.

• Like Like x 1
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,485
            Yes - I only use fat balls from about October to around early/mid April. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,469
              Largest bird we get at the feeders is the woodpecker. We have squirrel protectors around them all and these deter anything else, including the vermin squirrel, but they still try. Do you know I swear when I laugh at them trying they actually wag their tail in annoyance ! I miss our Jay visitors and have thought I might load the open feeder to try to attract them back (sure Mr Robin will not be happy)

• Like Like x 1
              • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
                +219
                Thanks guys
                I guess I'll buy a different mix once my current 25k runs out.

• Funny Funny x 1