1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Root spread

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sheal, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
    Can anyone tell me what the root spread of a Buddleia is and is it very invasive please.:)

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Buddleja can be invasive, but generally isn't when its in a garden that gets looked after routinely. It doesn't really spread by its roots. It does however self seed quite easily if you don't keep an eye on it, and it can grow in some pretty harsh conditions. Sometimes you see it growing out of dilapidated brick walls for example.

In the garden setting, you'd typically cut the flower heads off as soon as they look shabby, so as to prolong flowering and keep it pretty. That means it doesn't get chance to set seed. However even if it does, it is only shallow rooted and the seedlings are very easy to spot, so you can easily control it.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks Clueless :thumbsup::)

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I was just talking to a chap today, who was cutting his buddleja back. The plant was clearly very old judging from the size of the base, but every spring he cuts it back to within two inches of the ground. That way he says it never grown more than 4 or 5 feet high. And it certainly flowers OK as he was telling me how it had been covered by butterflies in the past.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    We do that to our Buddleias each February too (well, not quite that low, but down to a foot or so)

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,485
    As clueless says, Buddleias are really tough and can grow almost anywhere and you can do almost anything to them. They are very rewarding for little effort. :thumb:

You can also get them to grow in any form you wish. We have grown one as a standard. It is in a bed near our kitchen and if we left it to grow in the normal fashion it would obscure the view of our garden.

It now has a very sturdy trunk and we prune it hard back to a height of about 5ft. All the growth is from 5ft upwards so that it doesn't obscure the view of our garden but lets us watch the hundreds of butterflies and bees that go for the flowers. When it is in full flower it looks a bit like a fountain with the branches growing upwards and then the weight of the flowers making it droop downwards all around it. Lovely! :yahoo:

7. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    When I had buddleja in the past (haven't got very much of anything in my new garden yet) I used to cut it down to about 3ft after it had finished flowering, just so it was tidy but still had some leaves to photosynthesise, then about March I'd hack it right down to next to nothing. It was always full of flowers by late summer.

Then as each flower finished, I'd cut it off. Buddleja's flowers form sort of a trident shape, with one mature flower at the end of a branch, then just below it there'd usually be two smaller branches with immature flowers on. Having been relieved of the old flower at the end, the two younger ones would then put on their show within a few days.

Any branches that were too long would get a more severe cutting. But still I'd only take it back no further than the two side shoots near the main stem(s).

They really are a fantastic plant. They put on such a show for so little effort, and are very popular with bees and butterflies.

8. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    There's me saying I haven't got much of anything in my new garden yet, then my son spots some daffs growing down the far end, the end I haven't started work on yet. I take him down there to investigate, and I spot what looks remarkably like a buddleja seedling growing.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I remember reading someone saying to cut half the Buddleia down in Feb, and the other half later, to prolong the flowering season. I forget to try it every year though!

10. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
    Thanks all,

Top growth is not really a problem. It's the root spread and depth, because I want to plant close to an underground gas pipe which I know is set in concrete.

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,485
    The roots are not a problem. :dbgrtmb:

12. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
    After asking everyone about the root spread of a Buddleia (thank you all) it's suddenly occurred to me I have another problem, the lack of sun! The wall I want to plant them against is north east facing. Is it worth taking a chance, or shall I have to think again. :DOH::)

13. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    At my last house, my buddleja, which was a fine specimen, grow and flowered abundantly despite being under the canopy of another tree, so it got very little direct sunshine. The only direct sun it got was early in the morning and just before sunset, when the sun was low enough in the sky to get under the larger tree's canopy.

I say go for it.

14. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,599
    Thanks again Clueless. I'm definitely going to go for it. I can't think of anything else that would suit the location as well. I've now got to make up my mind what colour, I believe there is one called Black Knight that I fancy. I'll probably be planting three so might mix the colours. :thumb::)