Root Trainers V. Toilet rolls

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Waco, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone used root trainers? I am trying them for the first time this year, I pulled a seed out of one this afternoon (thinning) and was just amazed at the long tap root. I am definately converted.

I have heard you can use toilet rolls to the same effect, anyone tried this? anyone know where you can buy rootrainers on the cheap?

2. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I used loo rolls last year for my sweet peas and they worked very well - I just slit the roll and planted them - no mess :D Dont know where you can get roottrainers though -there was a thread about them poss last year Waco [​IMG]

3. PercyT

PercyT Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i am planning to use loo rolls for my beans and peas read in in the grow your own mag.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    sorry marge, you are going to have to spell it out to me, where do you slit the roll, is it top to bottom or do you cut them in half?

6. KevinO

KevinO Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last year i used toilet roll tubes to grow some carrots and parsnips and it produced some very good roots with no sign of forking and it meant that i could sow earlier and plant them out with litte disturbance to the roots. sorry, dont know where you would find rootrainers

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Ta Maam

I saw the Haxnicks thing but they are more than the local garden centre - who are also offering free packets of seeds with them - I mean as if I need anymore seeds! I have put my Matucana sweet peas in them and cerinthe will definately buy more though.

as to loo rolls - I think I will just have to feed everyone prunes till I get enough ;)

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  10. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL - yes top to bottom - having planted a couple intact the year before, I didnt think they broke down well enough.
    My dogs and bunnies love the loo rolls too, so they have to be shared out :D

11. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    oh my puppies used to love loo rolls more than any toy we ever bought them - simple pleasures are always best.

12. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I save every loo roll we use, and then i sow early sweet peas and broad beans as i did last week. I have even used the kitchen roll tubes for runner beans. I have never had a prob with the loo rolls, so i shalln't bother buying any, But you could check out n a kays sight. They have a good variety of gardening items. You can check out the prices of things.

13. Tweezers

Tweezers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please explain exactly how you use the loorolls? I have an excess of them as I was saving them up to make homemade Christmas crackers (but didn't bother in the end!).
    I've just bought some sweet peas and french bean seeds......

14. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I just stood mine on end in a seed tray and filled them with damp compost, then stuck my pinky in as a dibber and popped the seed in! And I put mine in intact and they did very well for me.

You can also get root trainers from here although most garden centres have them as well. I use them and think they're great!