root veg and compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by mchumph, Apr 19, 2010.

1. mchumph

mchumph Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to try growing some scorzonera and thought that since they are so long and difficult to harvest, growing some in bags would make it easier. Now I know that using manure on root veg will make them fork but would compost have the same effect? I intend to use mostly bought compost to fill the bags... but I may have to rethink.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Bought 'potting compost' should be just fine. Well rotted garden compost is ok too. The thing that can cause problems is compost that is over-rich due the addition of manure or additional fertiliser.

One other major cause of forking in root veg is a period or periods of drought during development.

3. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    A tip I picked up on a forum (might have been this one)is to sow scortzerona seed in tubes so they grow down the tube before growing into the ground/container. That way you are more likely to get straighter roots, and they do go down a long way when planted in the ground. It's the same idea as growing carrots for showing.