Rootgrow - Mycorrhizal fungi

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by *dim*, Jul 23, 2011.

1. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    bought a sachet today and planted a few star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)

had never heard of the stuff, but it is being advertised all over the garden centre, and some trees/shrubs even have additional labels stating that the RHS recommends using rootgrow with the specific trees/shrubs

the instructions state that it can only be used in the bottom of the planting hole, and that the roots of the plat must be in direct contact with the granules

done as recomended, and will be interesting to see what happens, as the star jasmine is normally slow growing in the 1st season ... I have planted a few star jasmine in another adjoining garden a few weeks ago, and never used rootgrow, so will compare the results

now, I have some rootgrow left, and have read that it cannot be used as a top feed ... I did read that one can plant new plants such as perenials close to, and around the existing tree/shrub that you wish to target, and then you include the rootgrow in the bottom on the holes of the 'host plants'...

the fungus will then grow on the host plant roots, but will then eventually attach to the 'target' plant roots .... (that's as I understand)

can one not carefully poke holes with a bamboo cane into the root system of the tree/shrub that you wish to introduce Mycorrhizal fungi / rootgrow ... then add the rootgrow into the holes and cover with compost instead of introducing new plants? ....

I would love to introduce these fungi to 2-Chamaerops Humilis plams that I planted a few days ago, but there is no space to include new 'host' plants

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    *dim*

You can but try! Either that or just keep the remainder in case you need it in the future. Thing is though; if you do try you won't really know if you have succeeded or not!

3. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) Hi Dim
    I have just bought an expensive rambling Rose (Malvern Hills) and have invested £2.99 in this product.Like you, I only know what I have read .
    As I am asking,and expecting a lot from this Rose I feel have invested in it's future........ and have some of this Rootgrow left for other plants....:dbgrtmb:.
    If it's good enough for the RHS It's good enough for me.....Time will tell.

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi All
    They done a test on Beeechgrove Gardenisng show last year about this fungi, the results showed no benefit they said at the time they would wait and see what happens this year.

When I planted out my Korean Fir I was amazed at how white the whole of the root ball was and that was a good fungus.

Spruce

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumbsup:Hi dim, I am convinced about the stuff, but like Harmony says try it for your tre roots or contact the company & see what they say..
    I have used it this year for the 3rd year bought my first lot at Rosemoor RHS garden at Bideford..
    I use it for all my transplants & I think they all look much healthier.. When I tipped a few pots out last year where I had used it the roots were amazing, thick & fibrous with all the little hairy roots off, compared to the ones where I didn't use it the roots were very stringy.. The plants seem to take up nutrients much better & so therefore are healthier to look at.. Hope you get good results for your rose roders.. :WINK1: I am sure you will.. :sunny:

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      I have 3 ferns planted around each palm tree (underneath the palms on the perimeter of the palm planting hole).... only planted them a week ago ....

will carefully lift the ferns .... add some rootgrow to the fern planting holes and plant the ferns back in the original holes with the rootgrow

from what I have read, the ferns will act as 'host' plants and the rootgrow will 'target' the roots of the palm trees

suppose it's worth a try (the palms were expensive and are the focal point of the bed)

• whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +803
      This stuff has been highly recommended for Japanese maples for a few years now. The top Dutch growers swear by the stuff. Must be some truth in the claims, although I have yet to even come across the product

• Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
      +225
      The wholesale nursery I use has tubs of the stuff. I bought some and used it, for the first time, in a seaside garden I have just planted for a client. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.
      Whis4ey, one of the plants was a decent sized Japanese maple. I know I'm taking a risk, planting it so close to the coast, but hope the funghi will help.

Chris

• BobsFuchsias

BobsFuchsias Gardener

Security
      Ratings:
      +14
      Hi All.
      I have been using Mycorrhizal fungi on my fuchsias for the past 2 years, and have noticed a marked difference in root growth and the health of the plants.
      Here are a couple of web site's that will give you an insight to what happens with the fungi and how it works.
      Mycorrhizal Assocations Introductions
      www.mycorrhizae.com
      Hope the sites help.
      Bob

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      I bought some of this a couple of years ago, I've got to admit at being sceptical, the price suggests its probably a rip off.

Anyway, tried it on a few plants and have not noticed much difference.
      I was under the impression at the time it was mainly for transplanting trees and shubs that were growing in sterilized compost.

I seem to remember a programme a good few years ago from Kew, I think they were "injecting" it into the root areas of certain trees in order to give them a new lease of life.

I also read that there are thousands of fungi that do this job and many are specific to certain plants.
      The packet only contains one type I believe.

Probably talking rubbish, but just what I have heard and read on the subject.:)