1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooting from a cutting?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Lilacfaery, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Lilacfaery

Lilacfaery Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I am not very green fingered but really feel I need to do this.
    There is a beautifully perfect Rowan tree that grows near where I live. Everything about it is what I would want from a Rowan tree.
    It has branches coming from the base of the tree ( is this coppice)? Any way I would love to grow a my own rowan from one of these branches.
    Is this possible? If yes how do I do this please.
    Forever grateful
    Lilacfaery xx

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
  3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There was a tiny Rowan growing on top of a telegraph pole when I lived in Blaenau, only nutrient it got was bird poo and wind blown dust from the quarry :)

Never make wine from them :eeew:

• Like Like x 1
    • Barb in Pa

Barb in Pa Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +250
      But hardwood cuttings may work also...What do you have to loose...it is done in fall...

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,628
      I think if you want the exactly same tree as the one you have seen the best way is grafting, but not easy, or perhaps not quite so difficult.;)

I've recently rooted semi ripe cuttings of plants, I struggled with in the past, by rooting in water.

• Barb in Pa

Barb in Pa Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +250
      I would make a pot of sandy soil or add sand to potting mix. Then cut at an angle a branch just below a node with a pair of leaves. I would make them about 6 inches long. The strip all the leaves, gently, except the top set. Then cut them in half. Now stick them in the pot you have prepared and water it till it flows out the bottom. After it drains, put the whole pot in a clear plastic bag or baggie, and seal it.. You are making a small greenhouse of sorts. Then put just a few small holes in the top of the bag. I would open it maybe every few weeks and allow air to flow for a few minutes. I have put many clippings in one pot. If you want to help it along go find some willow branches and chop them up and let them soak in a bucket of water for a week. Use that to water your clippings. Willow is a great think to use whenever trying to root anything. It has wonderful properties.

The way I look at this, is, what do you have to loose. I have make so so many beautiful baby plants over the years. Now I start things and sell them after they get larger. It's fun.

• Like Like x 1