Rootit Heat MatThermostat

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, Nov 28, 2023.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +281
    H. I purchased 2 rootit mats + thermostats and used them for bringing on seedlings in 2021. Did not use them last yaer but were kept in my darkroom in loft so nice & dry.
    I got a mat and themostat out yesterday and having trouble setting it.To set desired temp you press set button for 3 seconds until it flashes. You then press up/down to the desired temp you want which in my case was 42F 5.5C or near. I can press the up button and the temp will go upto max 86F if I need it.Once you get to your desired temp you press the set button again to lock temp in place.
    However when I press the down biutton the lowest it will come down to is 68F which is way off 42F and would cook the plants. I tried both thermostats and it is the same on both. I can understand one going wrong as only guarenteed for one year but both thermostats with the lowest temp of 68F does seem strange. I emailed rootit about 2 hours ago so wait there reply. If no joy I will just pack them up and send them back. I would not want a replacement just a statement to say they are no good. Am I doing soemthing wrong or missing something?? Thanks for any replies.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    If its intended for propagation use I'd say 68F is about as low as you want to go.
    42F would be for a frost free setting.

3. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    • Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,291
      Hi,

A quick look at its instructions show that its design is for a range of 10C to 30C so you will never be able to achieve your 5.5c with those units, unless yours is an earlier model with a different specification,

see - https://www.hydrogarden.com/content..._Heat_Mat_Thermostat_INSTRUCTIONS_NOMARKS.pdf

However it does sound as if something is not right with yours if you cannot get down 68F so see what the suppliers says.
      Little point in just sending them back, unless they agree to check them out, going to cost you postage.

If all else fails there are a variety of electronic thermostats on the market that will go down to 5c or below and can be used with those mats.
      Some range from £8 ( we use one of them) that need to be wired in , to plug and play units from £40 upwards

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,075
        I have thermostats for my heaters and you can set them to any temperature you like regardless of the ambient temperature otherwise you would need be in a fridge to set it to a frost free setting.:smile:

• trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
        +281
        Thanks for your replies. I said 42F as it is for small angel & I think regal pelargoniums about 3" tall. What with the frost coming up they willno be too cold in greenhouse. I have one of those electric bar heater and everyrhing covered in fleece which is normally ok but I think too cold for small pelargonuims. I have no problems taking cuttings and growing the angel variety but struggle on the regals so quite pleased I have about 24 small but growing regals.
        I have transfered them in to garage to put on mat. I said 42F as I did read that is the ideal/minimum temp to keep them ticking over during winter,maybe that temp is wrong and the soil should be around 68F. I got them in small seed tray cells and although I can see growth no roots showing at bottom as yet.Would be a shame to loose them though. I think sending the thermostas back would be pointless unless they would like to ok at them. I just get so angry when I purchased something that lasts such a short amount of time.

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,075
        I would keep them warmer than 42c if only just rooting, but cant say why the thermostats wont go lower than 68F.
        If its both of them and you have not run them lower than that in the past I think it more likely to be how they are intended to work rather than a malfunction.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,918
        (Blinks rapidly, with a blank expression on my face:noidea:)

• Funny Funny x 1