Roots germinator for the tropical

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Nov 22, 2012.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi all , I was looking to build a root germinator , based on the idea of the seed
    germinator , the idea would be to rooting cutting at anytime of the year , germinate seeds and keep water plants alive.

my idea is to build a water prof box , fill the bottom with water and place a water thermostat that keep the temperature at 24/28c , on the top place few grill where to place , seed ,tubers and cutting and on the top a lid with a light .

will I manage or will i slow cooking the plants?

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Sal - that should work OK. Its very much the same as a light box, but with water added. I presume its for water loving plants. My lightbox is around 22/28C and the plants love it.

My only concern is that a water proof box could be more diffcult to build, and water and electricity don't go well together.

[​IMG]
    I would be inclined to build a dry light box, and then put your water container inside it. This is my lightbox where I have simply placed a heated propagator inside, but I could place anything inside.

Incidently, whilst you would have the right environment for cuttings all year round, cuttings often only work at certain times of the year because of the state of growth in the mother plant.

• Like Like x 1
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      Hi Peters , I`ve done one up as soon as I start it I`ll post some pictures .

• Like Like x 1