rosa mutabilis

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Tigerlily, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. Has anyone out there tried rosa mutabilis? I've just put one in against a South-facing wall and was wondering how high it's likely to get. I know it's not officially a climber but thought it might go up a bit?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,806
    Hi Tigerlily Its common name (China Rose) Its a bushy Rose but can grow stems up to 6ft High 4ft spread ,Grows in any soil loves the Sun,Hope this is of some help. [​IMG]

3. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I've always loved this rose with its single, pale yellow ageing to pink and almost mahogany coloured flowers. There's hardly any fragrance, but I can forgive it that since flowers are produced in great abundance for many months of the year.

When Diany Binny was at Kiftsgate, she had a magnificent specimen that must have been a good 10ft. high and nearly as much across. Find it a sheltered spot and it is nearly evergreen, so a warm wall is good. It's near-thornless stems are flexible enough for it to be easily trained as a climber and any wayward stems can be cut out as necessary.

4. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DaveP - sounds lovely - can't wait!!

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    would love to see a picture of this rose, sounds lovely.

6. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,806
    Hi Rosa This First Photo is Rosa (Chinensis)Rosa Mutabilis (Tipo Ideal) now 24ft High

Photo 2 is Rosa filipes(Kiftsgate)Rosa x Odorata
    Mutabilis (CH)which is the Tallest and Largest Climbing Rose in The U.K. at 80ft x 90ft and 50ft High.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks woo, that first one rosa just lovely colours, you would need some size garden to accomodate that white rose, dont think i have ever seen a rose grown that high before, super pics

8. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    they are both beautiful Woo,you are surely the best rose man [​IMG]

9. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,806
    Thank You Rosa and Kathy3 I would surely have nothing but Roses In my garden That Is my Dream ,
    I have to put new ones In when Mrs Owl goes out and hope she doesn't notice when she gets Back :D [​IMG]

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    your like my grandmother she had roses and more roses in her front garden, back garden and side area next to the car port, she just adored them, looked after them, she was always out seeing to her roses.Do hope she has plenty of roses werever she is now [​IMG]

11. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,806
    Hi Rosa Yes I just love them I am sure your Grandmother Is happy in her Heavenly Rose Garden,
    Roses are all so Different so many lovely colours,All shades of Green Leaves, each Bloom a different shape,The Petals covered in rain drops
    are a sight to Behold,Single and Double Flowers,
    Hybrid Teas,Shrubs,Standards,Climbers,Ramblers
    Roses for every occasion,and they have their own little Soldiers to protect them Their Thorns,

[​IMG]

12. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for the pic WOO! Now I need to think what to plant with it.....Do you allow underplanting / interplanting with your roses? If so, any favourites?

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    woo im sure my grandmother will be surrounded by beautiful roses.
    its the thorns that i dont like about them, was always bumping into them when i helped with the garden. they are definately a thorn in your side :D
    Tigerlilly hope you enjoy planting and admiring your roses for years to come, looking forward to seeing pics in the near future

14. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,806
    Hi Kathy3 Its A personal choice But I do,nt underplant or interplant my Roses I like to keep the base of the stem round the Roses Clear for Mulching and air flow and freedom of the roots of the Rose,and I would,nt want anything to hide the Beauty of my Roses,But a lot of people do underplant sometimes with Ground cover plants ,and Interplant as they say it can compliment the Roses. If I was to Underplant I would probably go for Spring plants ie Tulips and a lot of people would go for Lavender or usually something Pastel blue [​IMG]