1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose bush sprouting Triffids

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Tim Shields, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Tim Shields

Tim Shields Gardener

IT Geek
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hey all

I've only started gardening a year ago so total novice. I planted a climbing rose last year as part of my over all "plan".

This year its had loads and loads of flowers on it - but now it seems to have sprouted a couple of thick, long, red stems that seem to be growing at an inch a day (or so it seems). The bush itself seems to not be doing much overall "climbing" - but I assume its because its now putting all its energy into Triffid generation.

rose1.PNG

rose2.PNG

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,327
      @Tim Shields
      Relax. The red shoots are new rose shoots. New growths on roses are often a red colour and soft. They harden up and change colour firstly going green and then more woody as time passes. These young shoots are what you will tie in to form the framework for next years flowers, you might want to remove the thinnest of thes new shoots, but take it as a good sign that the rose has settled in and begun to grow well.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • Tim Shields

Tim Shields Gardener

IT Geek
        Ratings:
        +60
        Thanks Nigel - will leave the Triffids alone :)