Rose cuttings - how will I know when they've taken?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by clueless1, Feb 22, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Strange story, but my house is the childhood home of my wife's friend who now lives over the road. Out the front is a well established climbing rose that her dad (now deceased) planted.

Last year, I made two attempts at propagating the rose, so that wife's friend could have one in her garden. She sees it as a living connection to her dad.

One is just a regular cutting, which sat in water for a couple of weeks before going into a container of compost. For the other, I carefully pulled down one of the stems, bent it through 90 degrees, and pinned it into another pot of soil, such that the parent plant is still providing life support so to speak until it (hopefully) roots.

I did both of these at the back end of summer. Both are showing growth.

What I'm wondering is, firstly, in the case of the layered one, how will I know when it is safe to sever the connection to the main plant?

Also, for the one that is just a regular cutting, how will I now whether the growth its showing is a sign that it has developed good roots, or if it is just running off the energy stored in the wood of the cutting?

I guess what I'm really wondering, is what I should do next, and when, in order to ensure the best possible chance that one of the cuttings will develop into a healthy new rose bush?

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good evening Clueless I would respectfully suggest that you sever the Layered cutting April/May,past experience with Climbing Roses has led me to believe that Layering is the most successful method ,I would IMHO replant the potted cutting May,Please make sure that are have plenty of water(don't let them dry out my friend,Hope this is of some help:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Thanks Woo.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,667
        Hi clue no worries my friend you are most welcome:)

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          It might be running on stored energy, but if/when you can see roots through the drainage holes at the base of the pot then I reckon you have a winner :)

• Like Like x 1
          • clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,596
            The thing is, I'll never see that, because when I planted it up I didn't hold out much hope for it, so rather than giving it its own pot, I just shoved it in a hanging basket that is currently unoccupied after the flowers that were in it had finished.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            What a good idea. If it leafs up and grows away strongly then its fine. Bit of a toss up when you pot it on - perhaps when you need to plant up the hanging basket for this season?

• Like Like x 1
            • clueless1

Ratings:
              +19,596
              I've just been and checked on the cutting in the hanging basket. Early indications seem positive. It has about the same rate of new growth as the 'parent' plant does, and I just very gently pulled it, and a significant area of the compost moved with it, suggesting that somehow, it is holding onto it, and there is only one way it could be doing that.

I'm tempted to relocate it to a large pot today, and then nurture it for a couple more weeks before giving it to its intended recipient. Any thoughts?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,894
              It does sound as if it's rooted Clueless. I'd try digging around it gently just to see if the roots are definitely there. If you decide to pot it on I'd give it another month to establish itself before passing it to it's new owner. It would also probably be best to leave it in a pot throughout this years growing season to let it mature and plant it out, if that is the intention, during it's dormant period this coming winter. :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,087
                I grow cuttings in pots made of the bottom half of a clear pop bottle. If you put them against the sides you can see when the roots start to grow.

Alternatively, if you pull slightly on the cutting you can tell whether there are roots anchoring it or whether it just slides right out.

• Like Like x 2