1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Rose Cuttings

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Sigord, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Sigord

Sigord Gardener

Formerly Registraion Clerk
    Ratings:
    +86
    Someone has just sent me an email for my daily web pages claiming if you first insert Rose cuttings in an non-scrapped potato, before burying about 4 in in the ground, it will help the cutting to root.

Does that make sense, if so would it help with cuttings of other shrubs, such as if you do not bother to use a hormone powder?

Thanks

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +88,945
    Hi Sigord IMHO I would boil the potatoes and then mash them ;) I think the fact that you say it worked is just coincidence as the Rose cutting would have been successful anyway,to save time why not insert the rose cuttings in the seed potato when you plant it,and then you might get a cutting in all the potatoes as you know Roses do grow on you:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Seriously though If the potato contacts some disease then surely this wouldn't do the Rose cutting any good,this is just my own personal view of course:)

kind permission from the ministry of getting rid of your surplus potatoes:ideaIPB:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sigord

Sigord Gardener

Formerly Registraion Clerk
      Ratings:
      +86
      Not my idea actually, just one of the daily emails sent to me.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Willow (and maybe Poplar?) contains plentiful hormones that aid rooting which is why those plants are often sold as "setts" in November time and just inserted into the ground rather than going to the trouble of rooting them and growing them on. I use Cornus, from the prunings when I stool the plant by cutting it to the ground in the spring, as Pea Sticks ... and many of those root.

People recommend putting Willow twigs in water with cuttings, or making a solution and using that as a "rooting aid". Of course nowadays you can buy Hormone Rooting Powder, or latterly gel-like compounds such as Clonex ...

I suspect that the Potato thing is based on either the hormones or having some moisture at the base of the cutting.