Rose hasn't flowered this year

Discussion in 'Roses' started by B17_Fan, Jun 14, 2010.

1. B17_Fan

B17_Fan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last year, we took a rose from my late nans garden and replanted it in ours. It always flowered in her garden then it had what we think were rosehips on it. It was doing fine in our garden. We don't know what sort of rose it is. It usually comes into large pink roses.
    Anyway, after it flowered last year, we deadheaded it. Now there are no flowers this year. no buds.

When it was in my nans garden, it never got deadheaded but always bloomed year after year.

What has gone wrong this year? Will it recover?
    I hope something can be done because it has been in existence since the 60's when my mum was a child.

thanks all

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,657
    B17-Fan Roses are a little late this year,especially as this year is its first full year,its probably just settling in to its new home,Just try and make sure that it is firmed down by the bottom of the main stem,is there new growth on it branches,leaves ect,all deadheading does is makes the Rose produce more Blooms,
    Don,t worry I am sure it will be OK,just give it a little longer,Is the Rose getting enough Sun and water,and is there any chance of a Photo,Please let us know how you get on with it,:)

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Does the rose look healthy B17 - green leaves and all that.
    If so then stop worrying about it. Some of my roses haven't flowered yet. It was a terrible winter and everything is late.
    If the plant is healthy then those roses will be along.
    In the worst case - it will flower next year. Be patient.