Rose identification and advice

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Jordanc820, Sep 1, 2024.

1. Jordanc820

Jordanc820 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello again!

This was such a helpful and friendly group when it came to my rambling rose, which I have followed all the advice on and has been cut back. Fingers crossed.

I now have questions about a rose in my sisters garden. Neither of us have any experience in growing or identifying them and hers was also inherited in a neglected state. I’ve attached photos so if anyone could tell me what the best course of action is and when to do it that would be most helpful. Also if you know what it is!

thanks as always!

IMG_0547.jpeg IMG_0544.jpeg IMG_0545.jpeg

2. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,053
    Oh dear! It looks as though it's trying to be a standard rose when it probably wasn't to begin with! There are a lot of red roses so not easy to identify either. Others may tell you differently, but I would be inclined to dig it up and plant something else. It looks pretty old.

If you want a rose in that place it would be best to dig out a hole about 30 x 30cms and replace the soil with a mix of compost and soil from elsewhere in the garden to prevent rose sickness. Otherwise plant a new rose in a different place.

3. lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,375
    I agree with Busy-Lizzie, dig it out, it's too old and oddly shaped now to ever look very attractive and personally I would never plant a red rose against a red brick wall - cream or white would look so much better as a contrast.

Most modern roses have better disease resistance than the old ones and often repeat flower as well which is a great benefit.