Rose Recommendations

Discussion in 'Roses' started by newtonuk, Jun 30, 2010.

1. newtonuk

newtonuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, I'm no gardener by any stretch of the imagination, but I am trying to give it a go.

I would like to plant a border of roses (3m x 0.5m) and am taken by the Hot Chocolate rose.

Could anybody recommend other roses that would be suitable (both compatible in type and complementary in colour) to plant alongside this one?

I also quite like one called Bonfire Night which is also an orange rose.

Many thanks

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi Newton & [​IMG].. I am no rose expert but I am sure our resident rose person will be about at some point later.. In the meantime have a look at some of his roses in the threads in the rose forum cos you never know.... :thumb:

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Hi Newtonuk that,s approximately 10ft x 18inches then in old money:hehe:Please be very carefull when selecting a Rose by colour as they can be different in all photos,IMHO you could end up with two Orange Roses,hope this is of some help to you:thmb::)

Hot Chocolate
    Modern,cluster-flowered/Floribunda,Russet,Repeat flowering.

Parentage:Princess x Tana x Mary Sumner

Bred by amateur breeder Simpson from New Zealand in 1986,created a sensation when when first released as it was a brand new colour-a deep rich orange,so dark that as the flowers age it could be called a soft Brown,the colour requires cool weather to reach the soft brown colour:as hot weather does not allow sufficient time for the full Browning effect as the blooms tend to fall off to quickly:)

Hot Choc---
    [​IMG]

4. newtonuk

newtonuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    :wink: Could be!

I like this one as well.... I think I'm going down the orange and golden colourway...

David Austin's - 'Summer Song'