Rose replant sickness

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Madahhlia, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I have an old Dorothy Perkins rambler rose that I'm fed up with, scruffy, scratchy old thing, and I'd like to replace it with an espalier apple tree. Is malus is vaguely related to rosa running the risk of rose replant sickness?

Has anyone ever noticed rose replant problems, or is this one of those bits of gardening "wisdom" endlessly passed on without much foundation?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yeah, real issue unfortunately. Supposedly now treatable using Rootgrow (mycorrhizal fungi), but I've not tried it.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    You can dig out the area and replace it with soil and compost. I have done that on several occasion with roses and had no problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,090
      Yes, apparently you should plant them in a wine box and by the time the box has disintegrated the problem has gone away. Sounds easy enough. Have to get through 12 bottles of wine, now!

• Like Like x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,838
        I think the idea is not to put the rose in the wine box..........just to buy a box of wine, drink the wine as you watch the rose grow.....and put your feet up on the box as you get steadily drunk!!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2