1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rose Stromboli Advice please

Discussion in 'Roses' started by lowrider69, Dec 12, 2018.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,819
    Hello @lowrider69 no worries your beautiful Roses will reward you for years my friend:smile: and remember if anything is not clear to you either now or at time in the future just ask at anytime sometimes it is difficult to explain telling someone ;):smile:as Benjamin Franklin said

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I must get out tomorrow and stock up with MPC multi purpose compost. My new roses arrived today from Parkers, sixteen in total, all looking good. I still have two bushes that I got from Parkers back in 1964.

Sadly despite having spent, to me, a small fortune on roses recently, so much has gone wrong, continued poor health that seems to have affected my general outlook. I am finding it difficult to re-fire my interest in the garden. Thankfully despite perhaps some friends not perhaps understanding me but, my saying is.........I was made by Dunlop. I always bounce back. This time it's taking a bit longer. Must be me age. Never mind. Enjoy your gardens.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,573
      Take your time Mike, the roses don't need to be planted all at once and if they are potted can be planted out any time. As the weather improves your enthusiasm will return and so will your health. Age does slow us down but the jobs still get done! :)

Enjoy your roses!

• Like Like x 1
      • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
        Ratings:
        +174
        took all my potted small roses cuttings plants into the green house as its getting a tad cold out there and there starting to look a bit offish hoping they will perk up a bit in there.
        the small plants have hardly grown at all over winter and there over 6 months old now.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,573
          Roses are pretty much dormant at this time of year @lowrider69 so you will see little or no growth. Check the soil in the pots isn't frozen - even in the greenhouse, as that will damage the roots.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            Thank you Sheal. Yes frozen soil/compost and pot/container plants do require attention in winter seasons. Frost, freezing temperatures etc call for extra care. If I may.

In the plant kingdom, we have come to accept that certain plants perhaps only flourish well in certain geographic regions. Many things about the natural world play a part here. Here and now. Across the world areas are being subjected to winter. Even here and now in the 21st century, Winter always catches us with our trousers down. Yes we hear lots about global warming etc but now we have winter. So a quick waive of my magic wand. Hey Ho! here we are in the garden.
            So a frost last night. Expected this time of year. So what should we do about our garden plants in pots and also many larger plants in containers.

So what really is frost, how does freezing temperature affect us and our plants. Firstly there is a sudden and very rapid decrease in air temperature. This sudden drop will cause moisture, most non oil based liquids to solidify. This has been filmed by the news media in the USA.

Sudden cooling, freezing is not new. Liquid oxygen is a prime example. Back to the garden. Our pots and containers. Here we have confined our plant to a life sentence in solatory confinement. So our plant is stood, stuck in a minimum of soil. Never mind what material your pot or container may be made of. It's content, height width etc is exposed above ground. So frost etc attacks from every direction. Simple protection. Any kind of pot/container wrapping. If your subjects are undercover, simple means, newspaper, fleece even sun screen netting. The action of frost/freezing is. Even the surrounding air becomes affected. The chemical particles enter whatevr and attack all forms of moisture. This includes simply breathing in such cold air. Yes it can affect your lungs etc etc.

How it acts. Simply. It attacks even the microscopic measures of moisture. It's action as we know attacks and causes it's vicim to rapidly expand and burst and death. No chemical treatments. Simply. Wrap up and protect yourself and your plants.

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Feb 1, 2019