Rose Trivia

Discussion in 'Roses' started by wiseowl, Sep 14, 2012.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Just a little bit of rose trivia:)

Roses are valued for their romantic symbolism but their blooms are also edible. No, they don’t taste like chicken. Rather like the flavors of green apples and strawberries.The rose family also includes pears, apples, cherries, plums, peaches, apricots, and almond.A fossilized rose - over 35 million years old - was found in Florissant, Colorado..Rose hips contain more Vitamin C than any other fruit or vegetable.Mythology says that roses grew thorns when Cupid accidentally shot an arrow into a rose garden.The oldest rose in the world has flourished for over 1,000 years on the wall of Hildesheim Cathedral in Germany.On Valentine's Day a whopping 214 million roses were sold , 59% of them were red. Just in time for Valentine's Day, rose prices typically jump 42% in February.There are more than 15,000 different types of rose species and cultivated varieties worldwide:)

• Like Like x 3
    • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      How very interesting - I had no clue about most of those.

I do remember eating flowers, including roses, as a child. They tasted quite nice as I recall.

Thanks WOO :blue thumb:

Alex

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      An interesting read Woo, thank you. :)

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Great Woo:dbgrtmb:....i make Rose petal icecream and yes you do get a scenty taste at first but then you can taste the apple flavour coming through....:dbgrtmb: