Rose with two flowers

Discussion in 'Roses' started by M4ndy, Jun 13, 2011.

1. M4ndy

M4ndy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I know very little about roses and have just taken over a garden with loads of them! This climber or rambler has two different flowers on it. How has that happened? I thought the one must just be a sucker that has been left to grow but the two different flowers seem to be on the same stem?
    I'd also love to know what it is if anyone has any ideas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
  3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think you'll find that there is nothing wrong or strange about your climbing rose, M:D:heehee:
    I think you will find that the rose is in fact called Masquerade and it is one of the characteristics that the flowers start off pale pink'yellow and as the flower matures it changes colour to red and then deeper red, so you actually get different coloured flowers on the same plant!! It's a repeat flower although the scent is not strong, and is fairly disease resistant, it's a good rose. Feed it regularly and it will pay you back with an abundance of flowers. If you can train the young shoots to go horizontally as that produces even more flowers, although be aware that they need gentle treatment as they can snap easily:cry3: Also dead head it regularly.

How do I know, well I've had one for over 25 years:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Aesculus

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      That right there is the coolest rose I have ever heard of:D going on my to buy list!

I take back my previous post but standby the black spot:WINK1:

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        No, you're right, Aesculus, about the blackspot. As I said Masquerade is fairly disease resistant and I've had several seasons where no blackspot appeared, having said that blackspot has appeared on this year but to no great effect. I just remove the affected leaves and give it a quick spray, usually that works:D

Masquerade was introduced in 1958 and I think it's a great rose. I think the name tells you about the characteristics of Masquerade because in effect it's one rose [the older turned red flower] which is masquerading/hiding behind another [the young pink/yellow flower]. A bit of clever naming there, I think. :D:heehee:

As you said it's a pretty cool rose, backed up by being easy to grow and maintain. A lot of roses get affected by blackspot so I don't hold that against Masquerade!! As a matter of interest I bought Masquerade in the early 1980's from a Superstore called Gateway, which became Asda, as a bare root plant for the princely sum of 50p, and I've certainly had my money's worth.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
        • M4ndy

M4ndy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +1
          That's amazing. I love this forum, thanks so much.

I told you I knew nothing about roses but I thought this was strange. Now I come to think about it I seem to remember those first two big blooms being more orange a week ago :DOH:

Its a lovely rose and has hundreds of buds all over it. Its doing really well considering it has been a bit neglected. I'm in Cheshire too, I wonder if my predecessor bought it at a supermarket as well!

I will do as you suggest for the black spot. I'm afraid quite a lot of the roses seem to have it and I don't fancy spraying the whole garden so I will just keep picking off the leaves and only spray if really necessary.

Any pruning advice?

• Aesculus

Cashier
          Ratings:
          +1,337
          Just picking off infected leaves and then pruning infected stems out in spring and then spray the hell out of it immediately afterwards and apply a thick mulch covering the soil round the base and that should about do it:WINK1: but if allot of them have it then It's just going to be one of those things which you manage rather then eradicate (like slugs:paladin:)

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Aesculus is spot [pun:D] on with his advice:thumbsup: All roses are hungry plants so regular feeding is needed, it strengthens them and possibly helps against disease.

Pruning, M, well, I find with Masquerade I just prune the tips by about 12" annually and it seems to thrive on that. However, every 4 or 5 years I cut it back to 3 good buds depending how prolific it has got.

You've got a good rose in Masquerade and it will keep on giving you pleasure for years to come if you feed it regularly, prune it as said, train the shoots to grown horizontally where possible [don't forget it's very easy to snap them, so slowly and gently] to encourage even more flowers.:thumbsup::hapfeet: Good luck:D

• Like Like x 2